Is COVID Misinformation Killing People? (with Facebook’s Nick Clegg)
Andy talks with Nick Clegg, Facebook's Vice President of Global Affairs, about one of the most important issues out there: Facebook, social media, COVID-19 and misinformation. After President Biden said Facebook is "killing people" with COVID misinformation, Andy and Nick discuss what Facebook says its obligation is with regard to misinformation, what they're doing to combat it, and whether it’s enough.
Keep up with Andy on Twitter @ASlavitt and Instagram @andyslavitt. Check out In the Bubble’s Twitter account @inthebubblepod.
Follow Nick Clegg on Twitter @nickclegg.
Joining Lemonada Premium is a great way to support our show and get bonus content. Subscribe today at bit.ly/lemonadapremium.
Support the show by checking out our sponsors!
- Click this link for a list of current sponsors and discount codes for this show and all Lemonada shows: https://lemonadamedia.com/sponsors/
Check out these resources from today’s episode:
- Here’s the latest on President Biden’s Facebook comments: https://www.politico.com/news/2021/07/19/biden-facebook-vaccine-misinformation-500148
- Read Facebook’s response to the President’s initial comments: https://about.fb.com/news/2021/07/support-for-covid-19-vaccines-is-high-on-facebook-and-growing/
- Check out this post from Nick about what Facebook is doing to combat COVID-19 misinformation: https://about.fb.com/news/2020/03/combating-covid-19-misinformation/
- Read about Nick’s role in banning President Trump from Facebook: https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/05/technology/facebook-trump-nick-clegg.html
- Learn more about the study Jen Psaki cited in a recent White House press briefing: https://www.npr.org/2021/05/13/996570855/disinformation-dozen-test-facebooks-twitters-ability-to-curb-vaccine-hoaxes
- Find a COVID-19 vaccine site near you: https://www.vaccines.gov/
- Order Andy’s book, Preventable: The Inside Story of How Leadership Failures, Politics, and Selfishness Doomed the U.S. Coronavirus Response: https://us.macmillan.com/books/9781250770165
Stay up to date with us on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram at @LemonadaMedia.
For additional resources, information, and a transcript of the episode, visit lemonadamedia.com/show/inthebubble.
See omnystudio.com/listener for privacy information.