Is the Public Cloud growing fast enough?
Public cloud is expected to grow 23% (overall) in 2021. Is that a fast enough pace of growth, or are there still significant barriers to adoption and faster growth?
- Cut your Cloud bills in half with Linode Linux VMs
- $100 in Free Credits at Linode
- CloudZero - Cloud Cost Intelligence for Engineering Teams
- Okta - Safe Identity for customers and workforce
- Try Okta for FREE (Trial in 10 minutes)
CLOUD NEWS OF THE WEEK - http://bit.ly/cloudcast-cnotw
CHECK OUT OUR NEW PODCAST - "CLOUDCAST BASICS"
- Gartner forecasts 2021 Public Cloud Growth
- Gartner forecasts 2021 IT Spending (Overall)
- Global Smartphone Market Share (2021)
- Apple reports quarterly earnings
- Amazon/AWS reports quarterly earnings
- Microsoft reports quarterly earnings
- Google/Alphabet reports quarterly earnings
IS THE PUBLIC CLOUD GROWING QUICKLY?
- Q1 2021 vs. Q4 2020: AWS (+30%), Azure (+23%), GCP (+46%)
- Growing faster than On-Premise, Existing IT (8.4%)
WHY ISN"T THE PUBLIC CLOUD GROWING FASTER?
- Data Gravity - Moving data into the cloud is expensive and slow
- Data Centers are long-term depreciation activities (10-20 years)
- “App Modernization” budgets are small - as a % of IT budgets
- SaaS is growing at 20% YoY
- Cloud Costs are expensive and complicated to understand
- Tech VC is still investing in Tech Startups
- Security is always a Top 3 priority, and Cloud Security is different
- A large portion of Enterprise and Gov’t isn’t connected to the Internet - and Mainframes aren’t in the cloud.
- Retraining Cloud Skills takes time (Gladwell 10,000 hour rule)
- Email: show at thecloudcast dot net
- Twitter: @thecloudcastnet