Jewel Burks Solomon- Black History Month- Masterclass
Jewel Burks Solomon is an Atlanta-based entrepreneur who was recently named Head of Google for Startups in the US. Jewel is no stranger to startups and entrepreneurship; she launched Partpic, a visual recognition technology company in her mid-twenties, and had it sold to Amazon in 2016. She was also named on Forbe’s 30 under 30 list. Jewel is also managing partner at Collab Capital, an investment fund designed to connect black founders to the financial and social capital they need to build profitable businesses.
Jewel’s dream is transforming so many realities for new innovators in entrepreneurship, and we can’t wait to see what Google for Startups does under her leadership.
Here are a few big takeaways from Jewel’s story:
- Don’t wait for people to believe in your idea and fund it - if you build it (and it’s good), they will come.
- Be smart about networking - put your ideas in front of the right people and nurture relationships with them
- Selling your company is not always the fantasy it’s made out to be, map out what your life would be like after you’re acquired and see if that’s what you really want
- Surround yourself with other people who are doing the kind of work you want to be doing and who’ll inspire you to keep going
- Most of all - don’t let your story, the place you live, or the color of your skin, define what’s possible for you
In honor of Black history month, we thank Jewel and the many black entrepreneurs who have paved the way for other innovators to be brilliant and brave.
Jewel Burks Solomon- https://www.inc.com/magazine/201904/yasmin-gagne/partpic-amazon-jewel-burks-solomon.html