John Wood - Unleash the Beast: The Role of Somatics in Psychedelic Experience
John Wood, founder of Rageheart, joins Paul F. Austin to explore the nature of somatic release in psychedelic experiences.
John Wood is the founder of Rageheart, an edgy, new online school that teaches people how to navigate and integrate their psychedelic journeys without traditional tools like meditation, breathwork, or $49 Moleskin journals.
Wood started the company when he noticed how many people struggled with psychedelics. Whether it was staying calm during the experience or integrating lessons afterwards, Wood wanted to give people better tools because, in his opinion, the classic tools everyone recommends are disappointing at best and downright dangerous at worst.
Wood is an entrepreneur and long-term traveler, having lived, worked, and traveled through 20+ countries over the last 10 years. He’s currently based in the mountains of Peru, where he rides his motorbike, trains Jiu Jitsu, and eats way too many people-shaped rainbow donuts at his local café.
- John’s motorcycling and “hikeadelic” adventures while living in Thailand.
- Early explorations of psychedelics, breathwork, and somatics.
- John’s experiences with manipulative psychedelic guides.
- John’s life-learned lessons on listening to gut feelings and making space for healthy aggression.
- How John came to synthesize psychedelics with somatics.
- How John sees the role of somatic release in plant-medicine experiences.
- How to use somatic tools, like those taught at Rageheart, and integrate them into everyday life.
- Rage Heart
- John's article on his harmful experience with psychedelic practitioners
- Book, A Little Book on the Human Shadow by Robert Bly
- Book, Waking the Tiger by Peter Levine
These show links may contain affiliate links. Third Wave receives a small percentage of the product price if you purchase through the above affiliate links.
This episode is brought to you by Magi Ancestral Supplements! Among Magi’s beta-Carboline nootropics is my personal favorite minidose, Stard Deep Meditation Aid which has been shown by brain scans to help you achieve a deeper state of meditation. Right now Magi Ancestral Supplements is offering 10% off for listeners of the Third Wave Podcast with coupon code PAUL10. Visit ancestralmagi.com to learn more about Stard and their other cognitive-enhancing nootropics.
This episode is brought to you by Apollo Neuro, the first scientifically validated wearable that actively improves your body’s resilience to stress. Apollo was developed by a friend of Third Wave, Dr. David Rabin M.D Ph.D., a neuroscientist and board-certified psychiatrist who has been studying the impact of chronic stress in humans for nearly 15 years. Third Wave listeners get 15% off—just use this link.