Josh Teskey - master of pipes: A deep dive into Vocals, Plumbing and how to put down your phone & live in the moment.
People of podcast land, you are in for a treat today. I am interviewing Josh Teskey from The Teskey Brothers! I feel really grateful to have been spending some time jamming with this guy. I believe he is one of the greatest blues and soul singers to ever come out of Australia and is a really good guy! The Teskey Brothers appear on my latest single and in the film clip which will be released soon. Stay tuned to the very end of this one to hear some our Jam session as well.
Here's what we chatted about:
- Josh’s early career, influences, and mentors
- Recording the Teskey Brothers first album on Jimmy Barnes’s tape machine
- Physical exercise and how it boosts creativity
- The balance between plumbing and music
- Ash’s ‘one second’ mediation recommendation
- Putting down your phone & escaping social media
- What success and ambition means to Josh
- Vocals, projection, resonance and technique
- Vocal warm ups and warm downs for his voice
- Getting in the right body position to perform for the entire gig
- Jam sesh with Ash and Josh
Some of our favourite quotes from this episode.
“I’m really content. We’ve got to a point where musically I never imagined we would get to”
“There is always a project to do, always something to build...I love it”
“I go to town on my voice, I feel like I take it to hell and back every night”
“You can still go for it, I just don’t need my internal ‘vocal amp’ turned up to 11 for the entire gig”
“I’ve got a lot of respect for tradies, and the plumbing trade for me is just a beautiful trade. I love the mix of the two sides of my mind, the practical head and the artistic head”.
The Teskey Brothers U.S Tour
The Teskey Brothers Website
The Teskey Brothers on Spotify
Follow The Teskey Brothers on Instagram Here
Mind Hacking - The book Ash refers to
Follow Ash Grunwald on Instagram here
Ash Grunwald Website/Show Dates
Earth Bottles - use promo code ASHLOVESME
Listen to Ash's album 'NOW' here
NOW by Ash Grunwald
This was such an uplifting soulful conversation! Hope you enjoy it and would love for you to reach out and start a conversation with us on Instagram here.
And as always if you love this chat take a photo or screenshot and share