Leading with a commitment to education and belief in the power of public policy with Jim Dyke | Changemaker
In this episode of Partnering Leadership, Mahan Tavakoli speaks with Jim Dyke, a partner in the law firm of McGuireWoods LLP. Jim Dyke served as Virginia’s Secretary of Education under former Virginia Gov. L. Douglas Wilder, and as Domestic Policy Advisor to former Vice President Walter Mondale. Mr. Dyke shares lessons learned based on his vast leadership experience.
● Jim Dyke shares how his upbringing impacted his commitment to leadership and a desire to leave a legacy of impact.
● Jim Dyke talks about his experience in leading the fight for the rights of women to be admitted to the Virginia Military Institute
● How leadership can create the kind of culture necessary for successful change.
● Jim Dyke talks about the significant role his wife Ellen played in helping him to become the best possible husband, father, and leader.
● Leadership lessons Jim Dyke shares with others on how to become more impactful leaders.
Also mentioned in this episode:
Walter Mondale, Former Vice President of the United States
Clifford Alexander, First African-American Secretary of the Army
Griffin Bell, 72nd Attorney General of the United States
Ben Civiletti, first Italian American to serve as Attorney General.
Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Associate Justice of the Supreme Court
Ellen Dyke, Author of Adam and Steve
Connect with Jim Dyke:
Connect with Mahan Tavakoli:
More information and resources available at the Partnering Leadership Podcast website: