Leaving software to find what really matters w/ Johnson Hsieh @Tinder
In this episode, I interview Johnson Hsieh, a friend of mine who made the conscious decision to leave his job as a software engineer to embark on a journey of self-discovery. Before leaving his software career, Johnson obtained his undergrad and masters in CS from USC then went on to work for some of the biggest names in tech, landing internships at Semantic and Google, joining the team at Amazon for a year, and finally landing at Tinder.
In this interview, Johnson reflects on his experience as a "cog in the machine" at these tech giants and how his personal exploration into the meaning of work lead him to quit his job and pursue a life of learning and personal development.
- Ask a lot of questions.
- Spend time thinking about your "why."
- Enjoy the journey; life is about the journey, not the destination.
- Ask me anything - If you have any questions, let me know! I'll do an episode where I answer your questions.
- Sign up to be on the podcast
- Algorithms to Live By: The Computer Science of Human Decisions
- The Secretary problem