Livebook's big launch week
José Valim joins Jerod to talk all about what’s new in Livebook – the Elixir-based interactive code notebook he’s been working on the last few years.
José made a big bet when he decided to bring machine learning to Elixir. That bet is now paying off with amazing new capabilities such as building and deploying a Whisper-based chat app to Hugging Face in just 15 minutes.
José demoed that and much more during Livebook’s first-ever launch week. Let’s get into it.
Changelog++ members save 9 minutes on this episode because they made the ads disappear. Join today!
- Sentry – Get to the root cause of an error or latency issue faster by seeing all the technical details related to that issue in one visual replay on your web application. Use the code
CHANGELOGand get the team plan free for three months.
- Rocky Linux – Enterprise Linux, the open source community way.
- Typesense – Lightning fast, globally distributed Search-as-a-Service that runs in memory. You iterlly can’t get any faster!
- Fastly – Our bandwidth partner. Fastly powers fast, secure, and scalable digital experiences. Move beyond your content delivery network to their powerful edge cloud platform. Learn more at fastly.com
- Day 1: Deploy notebooks as apps & quality-of-life upgrades
- Day 2: Distributed² Machine Learning notebooks with Elixir and Livebook
- Day 3: Hubs and secret management
- Day 4: Build and deploy a Whisper chat app to Hugging Face in 15 minutes
- Day 5: Data wrangling in Elixir with Explorer, the power of Rust, the elegance of R
Something missing or broken? PRs welcome!
(00:00 ) - This week on The Changelog
(01:29 ) - Sponsor: Sentry
(03:54 ) - Start the show!
(06:31 ) - The last time we talked...
(12:07 ) - We're watching Whisper
(14:00 ) - Running a multi-node cluster
(15:23 ) - Describe Hugging Face
(18:19 ) - Layers of abstration and models
(24:06 ) - Sponsor: Rocky Linux
(26:37 ) - Livebook Launch Week!
(32:08 ) - This is how I'd use it!
(37:37 ) - Let's go meta on Smart cells
(41:56 ) - Data wrangling in Elixir with Explorer
(48:53 ) - What about JSON or SQLite?
(51:51 ) - How does it work??
(55:04 ) - Sponsor: Typesense
(58:24 ) - Distributed ML notebooks with Elixir
(1:01:51 ) - Who is "We"?
(1:05:14 ) - Jose has a band and it's not on the internet
(1:08:34 ) - Dashbit and where is the revenue?
(1:15:50 ) - Can we get some speaker diarization?
(1:19:43 ) - Talking at 2x
(1:20:59 ) - Up next!