Making Quantum Computers a Commercial Reality
IonQ is the first company solely focused on quantum computing to go public, with its quantum computers accessible via the cloud today. The company’s co-founder/chief scientist Chris Monroe and president/CEO Peter Chapman join Azeem Azhar to explore how they turned cutting-edge research into a scalable product. They also discuss the engineering challenges that remain before quantum systems not only surpass the fastest supercomputers, but also become widely available.
In addition, they address:
- Why IonQ, unlike Google and IBM, have bet on the “trapped ion” approach to building quantum computers.
- How major software innovation could move quantum computing forward.
- Why quantum computers excel at optimization problems involving more variables than classical computers can accommodate.
- “Building A Quantum Computer with Light” (Exponential View podcast featuring Jeremy O’Brien, 2021)
- “Quantum computing’s next trick? The power of networked clusters” (Peter Chapman in Wired, 2021)
- “Commercialising quantum computers” (The Economist, 2020)