Managing Your Emotions & Triggers in These Trying Times!
During times of HIGH emotional stress, like the COVID 19 pandemic, "triggers" go up for the population as a whole, and especially for those dealing with addiction! The HIGH STRESS can impact us in many ways—
- Financial fear and instability
- Increased feelings of anxiety and depression--both individually and socially
- Feeling a lack of emotional safety and stabilitiy
- Increased strain on relationships; more time together (which can be good and bad); increased strain on parents
- Spiritual stress—is God there for me? Can I trust Him? Will He take care of us? Will we make it through this?
- Turning to outlets for self-soothing and coping like pornography, substances, gaming, social media, food, etc.
How can you COPE? In this episode we talk about:
- Good "Self-Care"
- Safe activities; getting outside; mixing up your routine; keeping a solid, reliable structure in place
- Journaling and focusing on what you CAN control; living one day at a time
- You MUST stay CONNECTED to those around you—do "emotional check-ins" with spouse AND children; maintain social and recovery connections; give "safe service"
- Get OUTSIDE your own head!
- Seek a variety of ways to stay CONNECTED TO GOD
- Use the "First 3 Steps" as a guide
It's here! Mark & Steve's online recovery, healing and support program—Dare to Connect!
3 times every week, you get Mark and Steve for 30-minute LIVE support & mentoring sessions (a total of 1 1/2 hours!). Monday for Addicts; Wednesday for Spouses; and Friday for Couples.
Conquer Addiction, Heal Betrayal Trauma and Repair Your Relationship!