Masks Off? Let's Eat! (with Justin Sutherland)
On Dr. Bob’s last show, he calls up chef and restaurateur Justin Sutherland to hear about the state of the restaurant industry. Many places were able to survive by pivoting to takeout, but more than 10% closed their doors for good. They cover what Justin did to keep his restaurants afloat, what comfort foods they reached for this past year, and what COVID-related industry changes will stick around. Plus, some familiar voices thank Dr. Bob for his time guest hosting In the Bubble.
Follow Dr. Bob on Twitter @Bob_Wachter and check out In the Bubble’s Twitter account @inthebubblepod.
Find Justin Sutherland on Instagram and Facebook @chefjustinsutherland.
Keep up with Andy in D.C. on Twitter @ASlavitt and Instagram @andyslavitt.
In the Bubble is supported in part by listeners like you. Become a member, get exclusive bonus content, ask questions, and get discounted merch at https://www.lemonadamedia.com/inthebubble/.
Support the show by checking out our sponsors!
- Click this link for a list of current sponsors and discount codes for this show and all Lemonada shows: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1NEJFhcReE4ejw2Kw7ba8DVJ1xQLogPwA/view
Check out these resources from today’s episode:
- Learn more about Justin at his website: www.justinsutherland.com
- Here’s more on the Restaurant Revitalization Fund: https://www.sba.gov/funding-programs/loans/covid-19-relief-options/restaurant-revitalization-fund
- Read more about the toll that COVID-19 took on the restaurant industry: https://www.nrn.com/fast-casual/datassential-more-10-us-restaurants-have-closed-permanently
- Check out this Eater article looking into reports of a labor shortage in the restaurant industry: https://www.eater.com/22417344/restaurant-labor-shortage-covid-19-unemployment-benefits-risks
- Learn more about Dr. Bob Wachter and the UCSF Department of Medicine here: https://medicine.ucsf.edu/
To follow along with a transcript and/or take notes for friends and family, go to www.lemonadamedia.com/show/in-the-bubble shortly after the air date.
Stay up to date with us on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram at @LemonadaMedia. For additional resources, information, and a transcript of the episode, visit lemonadamedia.com.
See omnystudio.com/listener for privacy information.