Matthew Pollard | The Networking Mindset for Success and Why Introverts Have the Edge
In today’s episode, we cover networking as an introvert with Matthew Pollard. Matthew is an internationally-recognized consultant, speaker, author, serial entrepreneur with five multi-million dollar business success stories under his belt, and the author of his newest book The Introvert’s Edge to Networking.
Networking when you’re an introvert can feel like a daunting task, so how do successful introverts do it, what advantages do introverts have when it comes to networking, and what can you do to be unforgettable?
What to Listen For
- Why do introverts make the best networkers? - 0:00
- What is the failing networking strategy many introverts adopt?
- Who are some of the more famous introverts and what can you learn from them?
- What’s the difference between extroverts and introverts when it comes to networking?
- How do you come up with a plan for networking? - 9:20
- What is the best way to get other people interested in what you have to say or sell?
- What is a unified message and why do you need one to grow your network effectively?
- How important is it to be passionate when networking and what can you do to find the passion in what you do?
- What should you lead with when meeting new people to make sure they don’t forget you as quickly as they met you?
- What mindset will set you up for failure in a networking environment and what mindset should you adopt instead?
- How do you excel at networking online? - 36:18
- Why is it more important to have a clear message when networking online than it is offline?
- What are the challenges you face when networking online and what strategies can you use to overcome them?
- What mistaken strategy do introverts tend to use when networking online and how does it lead to burnout and failure?
Networking is typically associated with extroverts but that doesn’t mean introverts can’t be fantastic at it. Networking is all about building connections with people, and since introverts tend to seek deeper connections than extroverts, introverts have an inherent advantage they can leverage. The key for introverts when it comes to networking is to prepare - find out who will be at a networking event and decide who you want to meet. Do some research into what they do and what you might have in common so you can show genuine interest when you meet them instead of struggling through the initial introduction and conversation.
A Word From Our Sponsors
Share your vulnerabilities, victories, and questions in our 17,000-member private Facebook group at theartofcharm.com/challenge. This is a unique opportunity where everyone — both men and women — celebrate your accountability on the way to becoming the best version of yourself. Register today here!
Resources from this Episode
The Introvert’s Edge to Networking by Matthew Pollard
Check in with AJ and Johnny!
See omnystudio.com/listener for privacy information.