Matthew Remski: The Dynamics of Deception and Enablement (Episode 61)
This is the second part of a 3-part interview with author and teacher, Matthew Resmski. We focus on Matthew s important new book, Practice and All Is Coming, which exposes and explores sexual abuse and cult dynamics in Ashtanga Yoga.
Matthew explores the conditions of high-demand groups that contribute to the “dynamics of deception” of its group members, a dynamic whereby members of the group are implicitly or explicitly deceived about the origins and legitimacy of their group and leaders.
For over three decades, Pattabhi Jois sexually and physically abused his yoga students, mostly women. The Jois family held tightly to its narrative of legitimacy until, well, they didn t. And this is what is both eerie and fascinating about the recent developments in the Ashtanga community. Here we see, in real time, the efforts of an organization to “brandwash” its unfortunate history.
Listen to Episode 61 here or subscribe in your favorite podcast app.
Links from the Episode
- Sharath Yoga Centre: www.sharathyogacentre.com
- Matthew’s book, Practice And All Is Coming: Abuse, Cult Dynamics, And Healing In Yoga And Beyond
- Order from Amazon: https://amzn.to/2JOUU98.
- Order from the publisher: https://embodiedwisdom.pub/product/practice and use the code Summers15 to get 15% off your purchase.
- Matthew’s website: www.matthewremski.com
- Our complete interview on meaningoflife.tv
The post Matthew Remski: The Dynamics of Deception and Enablement appeared first on Josh Summers.