Midlife Madness Episode 3: The One Where They Talk About Mental Illness
Leslie & Marie discuss the way they deal with mental illness, the things they've learned, and how midlife can bring on its own issues with mental illness. There are laughs, hard truths and lots of helpful info for those who may be dealing with things like anxiety, depression or ADHD.
Coping Ideas for anxiety:
- See a counselor/therapist.
- Close your eyes and take three deep breaths.
- Ask your counselor/therapist for a recommendation of a good book that you can refer to when you need a reference.
- Find Colors - Pick a color and find everything in the room you are in that is that color. This can redirect your anxious thoughts.
- Counting backwards from 100 by 3’s. Great for insomnia. Another redirect.
- Close your eyes and think about your happy place.
- Use medication if indicated.
- The Hilarious World of Depression
- HBR – The Anxious Achiever
- Mental Illness Happy Hour
- Beautiful Anonymous (not a mental health podcast, but often discusses it)
Mental Health Resources:
- Emergency – National Suicide prevention hotline at www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org or Call 800-273-8255, Call 911 or go to the emergency room.
- Make an appointment with a psychiatrist or psychologist in your area.
- Make an important with your primary doctor
- If it’s your child, contact their school counselor and/or their pediatrician.
- NAMI offers support groups for various types of mental illness and family support. You can reach them at www.nami.org/Find-Support
- If you are an active duty military member, you can call Military One Source at 1-800-342-9647 where they can connect you to mental health services.
- If you are a Veteran of the U.S. military, you can call the Veterans Crisis Line 24/7 at 1-800-273-8255.
You can listen and/or download our show on all BuzzSprout associated podcast players (Apple Podcast, Castbox, Castro, Google Podcasts, Overcast, Pocket Casts, *Spotify, *Stitcher, iHeart Radio, *TuneIn, and Podchaser). You will need to download the app on your device or listen via our Facebook page on your personal computer.
*Midlife Madness is currently available on these podcast players. All others are pending and we will keep you updated as they go live.
One more fun way to listen, if you have an Amazon Alexa device, simply say “Alexa, play Midlife Madness Podcast” and she will bring you right to our door.
You will find “Midlife Madness Podcast” on social media via Facebook, Instagram and Twitter (@MadnessMidlife, @leslienease, @mariebrace) if you’d like to hang out or chat with us. You can also email us directly at email@example.com. We look forward to hearing from you.
If you liked hanging out with us, please like us, follow us, add us to your podcast subscriptions, or leave a rating and/or review. That is how the Midlife Madness community will grow.
Now, if you don’t like us, you don’t need to do anything. Please don’t spend your time doing things you don’t enjoy. You won’t hurt our feelings. We promise!
Remember, you are enough right where you are!