Midnights: Liz Truss, Student Loans, Midterms
- First: We’ve got the context on the week’s biggest headlines: Liz Truss is out after 44 days in office, new tax brackets that could mean more cash in your wallet (thanks inflation), and Netflix’s Hollywood comeback.
- Then: The U.S. government has officially launched the application for people to apply for student debt relief. We’re breaking down all the info you need to know if you’re eligible. Plus people keep saying it takes less than a minute to fill out… so we’re putting that theory to the test, all in 60 seconds.
- Next: We’re Skimming the stakes of the midterm elections - who’s going to control congress, who might run in 2024, and what the future of our election systems looks like. Want to learn more? Check out our midterm election guides.
- Also: We’re in a mental health crisis in America. And work, aka the place you spend over 50% of your time, could be to blame. We're talking to the government's top doc about his latest guidelines on how companies can protect their workers mental health.
- Finally: There’s been a lot of BGE this fall – Big Gourd Energy. We sat down with one of the nation’s top female mega-pumpkin growers to get a behind the scenes look at the wild world of mega-pumpkins.
On this episode, you’ll hear from:
Jen Palmieri, Co-host of The Circus, Showtime
Dr. Vivek Murthy, U.S. Surgeon General
- Cindy Tobeck, giant pumpkin farmer
Want more Skimm?
Sign up for our free daily newsletter
Email us your questions about what’s going on in the news right now
- Subscribe and leave us a review wherever you get your podcasts
Skimm'd by Alex Carr, Will Livingston, and Blake Lew-Merwin. Engineered by Andrew Callaway and Elie McAfee-Hahn. TheSkimm’s head of audio is Graelyn Brashear. We had additional help this week from Hannah Parker.