Migrating to the Cloud
Jeremy Winter (Partner Director of Azure Management at Microsoft) talks about what trends are driving migrations, how companies plan for success, useful tools & frameworks, and leading successful transitions.
SHOW SPONSOR LINKS:
- DivvyCloud - Achieve continuous security & compliance. Request a free trial today!
- DivvyCloud - The best mistakes are the ones that don’t happen. Learn how IaC offers preventive cloud security.
- Datadog Security Monitoring Homepage - Modern Monitoring and Analytics
- Try Datadog yourself by starting a free, 14-day trial today. Listeners of this podcast will also receive a free Datadog T-shirt.
Topic 1 - Welcome to the show. You’ve had the opportunity to work on a number of things at Microsoft. Tell us about your current role, as well as how it’s been to see the transition at Microsoft from software company to cloud company?
Topic 2 - Lets start with the concept of migration. Is there a framework that companies use to think about what to migrate to the public cloud?
Topic 3 - Transitions and Testing feel like they are critical for any migration to be successful. How do companies manage to get through an application being in one location vs. being in the cloud?
Topic 4 - As companies think about the economics &/or ROI of migration, how do they think about all the elements involved (e.g. cost to change an application, cost savings of not owning a data center, cost to re-skill existing staff or hire new, etc..)?
Topic 5 - COVID-19 has changed everything these past 6 months. Have you seen the profile of a migration change significantly since the pandemic started, or have well-known migration profiles already in place? (e.g. different applications to migration, different pace of migration, etc.)
Topic 6 - Do you find that migrations are being driven top-down at companies, or are they decentralized by groups? How are they being organized these days?
- Email: show at thecloudcast dot net
- Twitter: @thecloudcastnet