DiscoverThe Angles of Lattitude Podcast: Learn from the Successes of the Creatively Self EmployedMike Thorp – Less Talk and More Creation! – How Saying No to Gary Vaynerchuk Helped Launch a Hospitality Consulting Business (AoL 114)
Mike Thorp – Less Talk and More Creation! – How Saying No to Gary Vaynerchuk Helped Launch a Hospitality Consulting Business (AoL 114)
There's a reason that many businesses fail in the first several years of business.
Of course, finances might play a part in that. But I think that even having a revenue problem is the sign of a deeper issue.
The issue is simply that business ownership doesn't necessarily make one a great leader.
And without the ability to paint a vision and help employees see what's going on, of course a company is going to fold.
Today's guest, Mike Thorp, helps restaurants with this problem. He says that what he does for his clients is a combination of Hell's Kitchen and The Profit. He loves what he's doing, as you'll find out.
But doing his own thing - it came at a cost. As creatives, we find out that to create our consumption must go down. And sometimes, we have to cut it out completely.
That's exactly what Mike had to do with Gary V.
So in today's chat, we'll hear all about what Mike brings to the table with his business, but we'll also learn what motivated Mike to pull the plug on Gary.
SPECIFICALLY, YOU’LL FIND OUT MORE ABOUT:
* How'd Mike get started in the restaurant industry? 9:43
* How does Mike view leadership and culture in the restaurant industry? 15:16
* What's an important role he sees his company doing for local students? 22:02
* Does he only work with local businesses around Grand Rapids? 26:53
* What was his transition like going from corporate work to consulting? 30:43
* What does Mike wake up for in the morning? 34:18
* What lead Mike to write his viral post on Medium? 42:28
* Why do so many people have trouble leaving the consumer mindset to becoming a creative? 50:37
* What are some of the things Mike's looking forward to? 52:39
* What are his three top favorite books? 54:50
* What's a fact from today that would blow the mind from someone ten years ago.? 56:41
* Smallest decision he's made that's made the largest impact? 57:08
* What's a life skill that he's amazed people lack? 58:44
* How can someone be a difference maker in their community? 1:01:44
Right click here and save-as to download this episode to your computer.
ITEMS and PEOPLE MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
Mike Online: Website, Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, Instagram, Periscope
* Co-Host: Veronica Kirin
* Looking for a great community to start your Indie Business? Try Fizzle for 5 Weeks free!
Bow Ties and Stilettos
Mike’s Medium Post on Turning Off Gary Vaynerchuk
Gordon Ramsay’s Hell’s Kitchen</a...
Download from Google Play
Download from App Store