Mini Episode 23.5 - Identifying Your Personal Values
In last week's episode with Duncan he spoke about the connection between his work and his personal values. Values have come up a lot over the last few weeks in my life so I thought this might be a great time to share an exercise you can do identify your personal values!
In this episode, I walk you through a values exercise...
1) Over a week, write down (draw, vision, journal, post it, whatever!) words, behaviors, phrases that best identify you at your core, your true self.
2) Find 3-5 themes from everything you captured.
3) Ask trusted others what words they would use to describe you.
4) Think about a time when you felt you were at your best and when you were not. How do those themes overlap with those times. Often the right values describe you at your best, and they were missing when you were at your worst.
5) Put it all together :). Pick words, phrases, something simple for each value that mean something to you!
Now you can use those values to help guide your life and your work. Help you make decisions, help you prioritize, help create goals and communicate with others. What can you be doing differently to live your life aligned with your values? How does your work & career align with your values? What is one thing you can do more of because it IS aligned? And what is one thing you can do differently to better align with your values?
As always, please consider subscribing, leaving a rating and review and sharing this podcast and the whole series with others. We do this podcast to help spread the word that everyone can get unstuck and find the thing that brings them joy in their careers. If our guests can do it, you can too!
Check out our Facebook page: Career Changers or follow me on Instagram (career_changers_kdw) or Twitter (career_changers) for more tips or connect with me so we can find a the right career for you!