National Security Special (with Lisa Monaco & Ken Wainstein)
In this Stay Tuned special bonus, national security experts Lisa Monaco and Ken Wainstein discuss the latest news stories that aren't about impeachment: Coronavirus, encryption, and the controversy over Carter Page FISA warrants.
Lisa Monaco served as Advisor to President Obama for Homeland Security and Counterterrorism from 2013-2017. A former federal prosecutor, Monaco spent 15 years in the Justice Department in various DOJ and FBI leadership positions—including Counsel to and Chief of Staff at the FBI for then-Director Robert Mueller. In 2011, Monaco was the first woman to serve as the Assistant Attorney General for National Security.
Kenneth Wainstein served as Advisor to President George W. Bush for Homeland Security and Counterterrorism from 2008-2009. Wainstein served as the first Assistant Attorney General for National Security at DOJ, and led the new National Security Division in the wake of 9/11. A former federal prosecutor, Wainstein spent 19 years in the Justice Department and also served as General Counsel, and then Chief of Staff to then-Director Robert Mueller.
REFERENCES & SUPPLEMENTAL MATERIALS
- Coronavirus Live Updates, New York Times
- “Trump sticks embattled health chief with coronavirus response,” Politico, 1/30/20
- “195 Quarantined in California After Fleeing Coronavirus Epicenter,” New York Times, 1/31/20
- “How a ‘Czar’ Fights a Disease,” Politico, 1/19/15
- Clip: Cybersecurity, Encryption and United States National Security Matters Hearing before the Committee on Armed Services United States Senate, 9/13/16
- Clip: Attorney General Barr on Encryption Technology and Law Enforcement, 10/4/19
- Clip: Encryption and Lawful Access: Evaluating Benefits and Risks to Public Safety and Privacy, Senate Judiciary Committee, 12/10/19
- Valerie Caproni’s Statement Before the House Judiciary Committee, Subcommittee on Crime, Terrorism, and Homeland Security, 2/17/11
- “A Year After San Bernardino And Apple-FBI, Where Are We On Encryption?,” National Public Radio, 12/3/16
- The Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act of 1978 (FISA), Legal Information Institute
- Fourth Amendment, Legal Information Institute
- Judge James Boasberg’s Order Regarding Handling and Disposition of Information regarding Carter Page, filed 1/7/20
- DOJ’s Office of the Inspector General Review of Four FISA Applications and Other Aspects of the FBI’s Crossfire Hurricane Investigation, December 2019
- FBI Director Chris Wray’s response in regards to “Accuracy Concerns regarding FBI Matters Submitted to the FISC,” 1/10/20
- David Kris’ amicus brief, “Accuracy Concerns regarding FBI Matters Submitted to the FISC,” 1/15/20
- Clip: Attorney General Barr and FBI Deputy Director Bowdich Hold Press Conference, 1/13/20
- Senate Select Committee to Study Governmental Operations with Respect to Intelligence Activities, “The Church Committee”
- “Justice Dept. Says Facts Did Not Justify Continued Wiretap of Trump Aide,” New York Times, 1/23/20