Nervous Laughter with Hamja Ahsan, author of Shy Radicals - Part 2
This is part 2 of Oriana's interview with Hamja Ahsan, author of Shy Radicals. Hamja admits that if he dies tomorrow, he wants to be remembered for his interview on The O Show episode "You're only as sick as your secrets". But he's still not convinced that Oriana's series does anything other than promote extrovert supremacist, normative ways of living. Will Oriana dissuade Hamja from his assumption that practicing unconditional self-acceptance (USA) is in fact yet another example of extrovert supremacist dogma? Listen and find out!
Dr Oriana Fox is an artist with a PhD in self-disclosure. She puts her expertise to work as the host of the talk show performance piece The O Show . Be sure to check out the "Killer Conversations" episode, which is discussed on this podcast.
Hamja Ahsan is an artist, activist and the author of Shy Radicals: The Antisystemic Politics of the Militant Introvert (2017) published by Bookworks. Among his many accolades, Ahsan won the Grand Prize at the 2019 Ljubljana Biennial of Graphic Arts. The film Shy Radicals produced by Black Dog Films, about Ahsan's life and work, was released in 2020. For information about Ahsan's past political campaigning for his brother Talha visit: freetalha.org.
This podcast contains short quotations from Susie Scott's book Shyness and Society: The Illusion of Competence (2007), Palgrave Macmillan.
- Hosted, edited and produced by Oriana Fox
- Recorded with the assistance of Chris Halliwell at City & Guilds of London Art School, Kennington
- Post-production mixing by Stacey Harvey
- Themesong written and performed by Paulette Humanbeing
- Special thanks to Katie Beeson, Janak Patel, Joshua Sofaer, Anna Colwill, Althea Greenan, Ceren Özpınar, Felicity Allen, Hilary Robinson, Helena Reckitt and others I'm forgetting and or not sure they need/want thanking, who patiently listened to and commented on my first edit!
Would you like to see your name in the above credits list? In a couple of short steps, you can make that happen by supporting this podcast via Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/orianafox