Our Favorite Books By Black Authors
This week we are using our platform to spotlight the incredible Black authors that we love. We have gathered some of our favorite books and also invited our past podcast guests ‘drop by’ to give their recs, too! We know that many people (including us!) are looking for ways to learn more about anti-racism, things that we can do, and ways to support the Black community in an active way. So we encourage you to pick up a book, share with your friends, buy from Black-owned bookstores, and continue to learn and grow.
We look forward to discussing these books with you in the facebook group!
Here is a link to a google doc with anti-racism resources that we mentioned. This was created by Tatum Dorrell, Matthew Herndon, and Jourdan Dorrell.
Books (all links are through The Lit Bar via bookshop.org):
- An American Marriage by Tayari Jones
- American Spy by Lauren Wilkerson
- Homegoing by Yaa Gyasi
- The The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas
- With The Fire on High by Elizabeth Acevedo
- The Belles by Dhonielle Clayton
- The Vanishing Half by Britt Bennett
- The Idea of You by Robinne Lee
- Anything by Jasmine Guillory
- Get a Life, Chloe Brown by Talia Hibbert
- Wow No Thank You by Samantha Irby
- What I Know For Sure by Oprah Winfrey
- Such a Fun Age by Kiley Read
- Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
- From the Chiffon Trenches by Andre Leon Talley
- Becoming by Michelle Obama
- Year of Yes by Shonda Rhimes
- Nikki Giovanni - Poet
- Langston Hughes - Poet
- On The Come Up by Angie Thomas
What we’re reading this week:
- Reputation by Sarah Shepard
- Head Over Heels by Hannah Orenstein
- Rodham by Curtis Sinfeld
- The Art of Showing Up by Rachel Wilkerson Miller
Buying from Black-owned bookstores (can buy through Bookshop.org digitally):
- The Lit bar in The Bronx
- Sisters Uptown in Manhattan
- Semicolon in Chicago
- Afri Ware in Chicago
- Mahogany Books in DC
- Harriet’s bookshop in Philly
- Uncle Bobbies in Philly
- Hakim’s Bookstore in Philly
- For Keeps Books in Atlanta
- Marcus Books in Oakland
- The Dock Bookshop in Fort Worth
- ESO Won in LA
June Book Club Pick:
- Clap While You Land by Elizabeth Acevedo
- Night: Go to discovernight.com and get 20% off with code BOP20 at checkout.
- Book of the Month: Go to bookofthemonth.com and sign up using code BOP10 and get any book for $10
- Care of: 50% your first order at takecareof.com/bop50 with offer code BOP50 at checkout.
Join our FB group for amazing book recs & more!