Part 148 - Dr. Chris Palmer on Incredible Cases of Diet & Lifestyle Reversing Depression, Bipolar, and Schizophrenia
In this episode, I had a wonderful conversation with Dr. Chris Palmer who uses diet and lifestyle changes to improve the lives of people suffering from mental and metabolic illness. As you'll learn in the show, there is a metabolic component of many mental health conditions.
Dr. Palmer has been exploring dietary changes, like the ketogenic diet, as treatment for conditions such as schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, and depression. He shares some amazing and inspiring stories that need to be shared with the world if we want to see meaningful changes to our medical system!
Dr. Palmer has been involved in psychiatric research for over 23 years. He received his medical degree from Washington University School of Medicine. He did his internship and psychiatry residency at McLean Hospital, Massachusetts General Hospital, and Harvard Medical School. He is currently the Director of the Department of Postgraduate and Continuing Education at McLean Hospital and an Assistant Professor of Psychiatry at Harvard Medical School.
He has been pioneering the use of the ketogenic diet as a treatment for psychiatric disorders. This is an evidence-based treatment for epilepsy, and epilepsy treatments are commonly used in psychiatry. Additionally, the ketogenic diet has profound effects on brain metabolism that may correct some of the metabolic abnormalities often found in people with mental disorders. He is working with researchers from around the world to assess the effectiveness of this treatment in real people and better understand its mechanisms of action.
Check out his website! - https://www.chrispalmermd.com
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and information provided here by Dr. Chris Palmer and Brian Sanders are not to be taken as medical advice.
- [3:30 ] The ketogenic diet and alcoholism
- [10:30 ] The ketogenic diet is an evidence-based treatment for epilepsy
- [13:40 ] Dr. Chris Palmer’s background and personal story
- [21:40 ] Why diet works when other treatments fail
- [26:40 ] Long-standing psychiatric symptoms resolving with Keto
- [33:10 ] Metabolic flexibility and mental health
- [37:00 ] Why there’s no one-size-fits-all diet
- [40:40 ] What happens when patients return to their old habits?
- [46:00 ] Treating epilepsy and bipolar disorder with keto
- [53:40 ] Mental disorders are metabolic disorders of the brain
- [57:40 ] Regular exercise is important, but not enough
- [1:01:40 ] Why isn't exercise enough for some people?
- [1:07:40 ] Depression is skyrocketing – can diet sometimes help?
- [1:13:00 ] Depression and comfort foods <li class="MIezR Zn7O0 _2zLWO public-DraftStyleDefault-list-ltr rich_content_line-height-1_38