Patrick McGinnis | The Art of Overcoming FOMO
In today’s episode, we answer your questions and cover FOMO with the person who coined the term, Patrick McGinnis. Patrick is a venture capitalist, writer, and speaker who coined the term FOMO, which was added to the Oxford English Dictionary in 2013.
FOMO is nothing new but it seems worse now that we have endless options at our fingertips via the internet and social media, so how can we minimize the negative impacts of it and even turn it around and use it to help us make better decisions?
What to Listen For
- What is FOMO and how does it challenge you when it comes to making small and big decisions?
- Does FOMO subside as we age?
- How has the COVID pandemic impacted our FOMO and will it be better or worse after pandemic passes?
- What does FOBO mean and how is it different from FOMO?
- Why is FOMO good for us and how do you prevent it from ruining your ability to enjoy life?
- When faced with a big decision and heavy FOMO, what can you do to make the best decision for your future without regretting the other options?
- What can you do to make time for self-development if you feel your days are consumed by other responsibilities and obligations?
- What is FOGO and why is it so relevant right now?
The fear of missing out is nothing new, but with the evolution of the internet and social media, it can be crippling to many people who don’t live an intentional life inline with their values. If you’re always on the lookout for “THE BEST THING” then your life will be a constant cycle of dipping your toes in the water without committing to jumping in, and while dipping your toes in water can be refreshing, you are missing out on actually being in the water, getting better at swimming, making long lasting friendships, so on and so forth. The key is to figure out what you stand for and what you want out of life, so you can make simple and complex decisions without stressing too much over whether or not it’s “THE BEST” decision.
A Word From Our Sponsors
Share your vulnerabilities, victories, and questions in our 17,000-member private Facebook group at theartofcharm.com/challenge. This is a unique opportunity where everyone — both men and women — celebrate your accountability on the way to becoming the best version of yourself. Register today here!
Whether you’re a professional working at a traditional, home or remote office our new sponsor, Fully, is here to transform your workplace with furniture designed for health, flow and balance. And right now, you can save $50 off the Jarvis standing desk when you visit fully.com/CHARM. Fully—everything you need to make your workflow.
Resources from this Episode
Fomosapiens - podcast hosted by Patrick McGinnis
The 10% Entrepreneur - by Patrick McGinnis
Fear of Missing Out - by Patrick McGinnis
Check in with AJ and Johnny!