Protecting Journalism and Free Speech
Runa Sandvik, a modern-day hacker and computer security expert joins Ann Johnson on this week's episode of Afternoon Cyber Tea. Having a reputation as a staunch proponent of strong encryption, Runa was hired by The New York Times as their first senior director of information security. Ann and Runa discuss instituting new high-tech security measures at The Times, what types of skills she believes all journalists should possess today, and what she believes the tech industry should be doing more of when protecting against disinformation.
In This Episode You Will Learn:
- How journalists conduct research while dealing with online threats
- When journalists need to start worrying about disinformation
- Why we have an increase in cyberattacks on journalists
Some Questions We Ask:
- How did you implement various security advancements at The New York Times?
- Why are criminals attacking media companies?
- What types of cyber skills should all journalists possess today?
Listen to: Security Unlocked
Afternoon Cyber Tea with Ann Johnson is produced by Microsoft and distributed as part of The CyberWire Network.