Queen of Leadership
Women in Leadership
In this episode, herdacious host Lorelei chats with Cara about common trends women in leadership experience. Cara emphasizes the impact a diverse work culture has on a company’s performance, and how women, in particular, can lead that effort. While it's well known that women are under-represented in the leadership realm, Cara details some tips for recruiters to mitigate bias and hire based on individual skill and experience. For women seeking those roles, Cara advises us to wield data in ways that support our success. The roles are already changing; with a little practice and intention, we’ll be viewing the world from the top.
Host: Lorelei Gonzalez
Co-host: Cara McCarty
Cara McCarty is the VP of People at Cognite, a global industrial AI (SaaS) company, and Co-founder of Code Pilot. In 2019, Code Pilot was one of the fastest growing training & recruitment platforms for developers and was acquired by AngelList, the second largest talent marketplace in the world. Cara is also a top-rated mentor at the Founder Institute, nominated as an ABJ Profiles in Power, and you can listen to her founders journey on the podcast "Establishing Your Empire" on iTunes with Daran Herrman. Prior to Cognite, Cara partnered with founders and leaders to support complex organizational and high-growth people initiatives for successful outcomes -- including WorldFirst, Acquisition and RetailMeNot, IPO.
Things you will learn in this episode (chapter markers available):
- Why diversity, equity, and inclusion are important 2:45
- Leadership differences within companies 4:50
- Hiring without bias 7:57
- Common gender pitfalls 11:09
- Shortage of women in leadership (but not for long) 13:45
- What makes a great leader? 15:27
- Tips for recruiting talented women 17:50
- Femme fact: Breast Cancer Awareness Month 19:37
Resources mentioned in this episode:
- Mother, Daughter, Sister, Bride: Rituals of Womanhood by Lisa Ling (book)
- Mindset: The New Psychology of Success by Carol Dweck (book)
- How I Built This with Guy Raz (NPR podcast)
- First Round Review (website)
Link to show transcript here.
Looking for additional resources on this topic? Check out our blog post “Why Women Need to Take Credit for Their Work”
For up to date information on HERdacity events, webinars, podcasts, and community activities, join our newsletter here.
Disclaimer: While we appreciate our sponsors' support in making this show possible, herdacious content is curated with integrity and honesty.
Support the show (http://herdacity.org/donate/)