Queen of Support
Socialization of Women
In this episode, herdacious host Lorelei chats with Joy Wiggins, PhD, about a pernicious societal symptom of sexism: the sabotage of women by women. Joy explains society’s troubling role is teaching women and young girls to feel negatively about themselves and other women, and how this behavior is bound to disadvantage us in the workplace. Joy reminds us that we can make the conscious decision to defy our socialization and, instead, love ourselves and support one another. Through her personal and professional experiences, Joy encourages us to first empower ourselves so that we can then empower others. The math checks out: two empowered women are always more unstoppable than one.
Host: Lorelei Gonzalez
Co-host: Joy Wiggins, PhD
Joy L. Wiggins, PhD, received her doctorate from The Ohio State University in multicultural education and social justice. She is the founder and CEO of Joy Wiggins, PhD: Equity and Inclusion Consulting which provides speaking, facilitation and mentorship opportunities on the topics of power, privilege, racial and gender justice, and liberation. She has spent the past 20 years working on understanding our cultural identities and perceptions of navigating the world. Her consulting centers around understanding biases and women supporting women in the workplace.
Things you will learn in this episode (chapter markers available):
- How women view themselves and others 1:20
- Expectations, expectations, expectations 6:09
- Sabotage of others (and to yourself) 8:00
- Symptoms include: implicit bias, microaggressions 16:54
- Supporting your fellow sisters in the workplace 21:00
- From femmenies to femmeships 24:35
- Femme fact: Hocus Pocus 27:47
Resources mentioned in this episode:
- Lean In, Fairygodboss, PowerToFly, Leadership Austin, The Riveter (career help)
- Mary-Frances Winters, Jennifer Brown (authors)
- From Sabotage to Support by Joy Wiggins and Kami Anderson (book)
- @laylafsaad, @girlbeheard (instagram)
Link to show transcript here.
Looking for additional resources on this topic? Check out our webinar "Women: From the Margins to the Mainstream | Joy Wiggins, PhD"
For up to date information on HERdacity events, webinars, podcasts, and community activities, join our newsletter here.
Disclaimer: While we appreciate our sponsors' support in making this show possible, herdacious content is curated with integrity and honesty.
Support the show (http://herdacity.org/donate/)