REI167: The Art of Real Estate Development w/ Asi Cymbal
Patrick Donley talks with Asi Cymbal about the inspiration his mother provided watching her lift the family’s fortunes through real estate, what he learned from a $20,000 per year job with mixed-used pioneer Howard Jacobs, how he broke into development in both New York and Miami, how the downturn of 2008 provided an opportunity that changed his life, what early retirement was like and why he choose to return to the world of real estate development.
IN THIS EPISODE, YOU’LL LEARN:
00:00 - Intro
02:32 - Why his mom is one of his real estate investment heroes.
07:45 -What his early inspirations were for pursuing a real estate career?
07:45 - Why he chose to go to law school.
08:59 - How he found an incredible mentor at a $20,000 per year job.
11:06 - What it was like breaking into development in New York City.
15:19 - How he made the transition from NYC to Miami.
19:03 - How the 2008 Great Financial Crisis provided the opportunity that allowed him to retire.
54:25 - What retirement was like and why he choose to come back to start his current company.
And much, much more!
*Disclaimer: Slight timestamp discrepancies may occur due to podcast platform differences.
BOOKS AND RESOURCES
- Robert’s book The Everything Guide to House Hacking.
- Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill.
- Good to Great by Jim Collins.
- Rich Dad Poor Dad by Robert Kiyosaki.
- Richer, Wiser, Happier by William Green.
- Related Episode: Listen to REI155: Confessions of a Real Estate Entrepreneur w/ Moses Kagan, or watch the video.
- Related Episode: Listen to REI159: From Reception to Urban Infill Developer w/ Sean Sweeney, or watch video.
NEW TO THE SHOW?
- Check out our Real Estate 101 Starter Packs.
- Browse through all our episodes (complete with transcripts) here.
- Try our tool for picking stock winners and managing our portfolios: TIP Finance Tool.
- Enjoy exclusive perks from our favorite Apps and Services.
- Stay up-to-date on financial markets and investing strategies through our daily newsletter, We Study Markets.
- Keep up with the latest news and strategies on real estate investing with the best real estate podcasts.
P.S The Investor’s Podcast Network is excited to launch a subreddit devoted to our fans in discussing financial markets, stock picks, questions for our hosts, and much more! Join our subreddit r/TheInvestorsPodcast today!
- Get a FREE audiobook from Audible.
- Talk to your clients about Desjardins Responsible Investment today and support what’s right for society and what’s good for business.
- Take stock of your finances and investing strategy with Betterment.
- Let an expert do your taxes from start to finish so you can relax with TurboTax.
- If your business has five or more employees and managed to survive Covid you could be eligible to receive a payroll tax rebate of up to twenty-six thousand dollars per employee. Find out if your business qualifies with Innovation Refunds.
- Support our free podcast by supporting our sponsors.