RWH008: Playing to Win w/ Investing Guru Mohnish Pabrai
IN THIS EPISODE, YOU’LL LEARN
- 00:02:41 - How an introduction from Warren Buffett led to Mohnish’s friendship with Charlie Munger.
- 00:04:46 - What it’s been like to hang out with Charlie over the last 14 years.
- 00:15:45 - How Warren and Charlie have succeeded by being voracious “learning machines.”
- 00:18:59 - How Warren and Charlie differ from each other as investors.
- 00:22:12 - How Charlie figured out that Li Lu would be one of the greatest investors of our time.
- 00:42:34 - Why it’s helpful to know that even the best investors are wrong a third or half of the time.
- 00:43:18 - How a checklist and other “circuit breakers” can help you to reduce your error rate.
- 01:00:53 - Why Mohnish and Charlie believe it’s a huge competitive advantage to be ethical.
- 01:03:56 - How Mohnish decides whether or not to build a relationship with someone.
- 01:12:55 - How he’s changed, becoming more committed to serving others as selflessly as possible.
- 01:15:19 - What Mohnish figured out about how to parent his daughters.
- 01:24:01 - How the power principles he learned from David Hawkins have changed his life.
- 01:25:16 - Why it’s so valuable to be candid and to “bare your soul.”
- 01:39:52 - Where Mohnish wants his ashes to be scattered after he dies.
*Disclaimer: Slight timestamp discrepancies may occur due to podcast platform differences.
BOOKS AND RESOURCES
- Mohnish Pabrai’s website, Chai with Pabrai.
- Mohnish’s book, The Dhando Investor.
- Learn more about Mohnish’s Dakshana Foundation.
- Stig Brodersen’s latest interview with Mohnish about stock investing.
- William Green’s book, “Richer, Wiser, Happier” – read the reviews of this book.
- Mohnish explains how “Richer, Wiser, Happier” transformed his investing approach.
- David Hawkins’ books “Power vs Force,” “Letting Go,” and “The Eye of the I.”
- William Green’s Twitter.
- Every 28 seconds an entrepreneur makes their first sale on Shopify. Access powerful tools to help you find customers, drive sales, and manage your day-to-day. Start a FREE fourteen-day trial right now!
- Find Pros & Fair Pricing for Any Home Project for Free with Angi.
- Invest in crypto and trade it without tax headaches with AltoIRA.
- Updating your wardrobe or just simply looking for a new fall flannel? Head to Mizzen+Main and use promo code WSB to receive $35 off an order of $125 or more!
- Break into the multifamily investing space or level up your investing game. Learn these at the Multifamily Investor Nation Convention. Visit mfincon.com for details and tickets. Use promo code TIP to get $200 off your tickets.
- Try out Rhoback’s performance polos, q-zips, or hoodies and bring a new meaning to the word comfortable. Use the code STUDY and get 20% off your first order.
- Get a FREE Wealth Protection Kit and learn how thousands are protecting their retirement savings and adding $10,000 (or more) in free Silver with Goldco.
- Personalize your plans in improving your metabolism, reducing stress, improving sleep, and optimizing your health with InsideTracker. Use discount code TIP to get 20% off the entire InsideTracker store.
- Gain the skills you need to move your career a level up when you enroll in a Swinburne Online Business Degree. Search Swinburne Online today.
- Confidently take control of your online world without worrying about viruses, phishing attacks, ransomware, hacking attempts, and other cybercrimes with Avast One.
- Depend on RBC Wealth Management’s investment expertise to build a plan that helps you strengthen your financial security no matter where you are in life.
- Meet every business challenge -- from point of sale to eCommerce, staff management, business operations, costumer solutions, and so much more by using Square’s customized and connected tools.
- Get 50% off Remote’s full suite of global employment solutions for your first employee for three months. Just visit remote.com and use promo code WSB.
- Our tool for picking stock winners and managing our portfolios: TIP Finance Tool.
- Check out our favorite Apps and Services.
- Browse through all our episodes (complete with transcripts) here.
- New to the show? Check out our We Study Billionaires Starter Packs.
- Support our free podcast by supporting our sponsors.
HELP US OUT!
Help us reach new listeners by leaving us a rating and review on Apple Podcasts! It takes less than 30 seconds, and really helps our show grow, which allows us to bring on even better guests for you all! Thank you – we really appreciate it!