RWH009: How to Build Enduring Wealth w/ Guy Spier (Part 1)
IN THIS EPISODE, YOU'LL LEARN:
- 00:03:02 - How Guy Spier’s ancestors lost their family fortune and became refugees in the 1930s.
- 00:11:41 - How Guy was shaped by this story and embarked on a quest to restore their lost fortune.
- 00:24:20 - Why investors need to recognize that nothing is stable and everything changes.
- 00:28:12 - Why Guy settled in Switzerland and why he worries about the future of the U.S.
- 00:35:34 - Why he doesn’t like Bitcoin or gold, preferring to own “productive assets.”
- 00:45:11 - Why it’s critical to invest in a way that’s true to your own nature.
- 00:51:00 - Why so many highly intelligent and talented fund managers end up failing.
- 00:59:45 - How the crash of overvalued growth stocks proves again that “price really does matter.”
- 01:03:17 - Why Nick Sleep’s concept of “destination analysis” is such a valuable filter for investors.
- 01:14:08 - How to prosper by owning great businesses that occupy the “economic high ground.”
- 01:27:00 - Why it’s so important to size your bets correctly and not get too carried away.
- 01:36:31 - How Guy clones people like Warren Buffett and Mike Ovitz, yet tries to be true to himself.
- 01:44:34 - How Buffett taught him that every person is an equal soul and should carry equal weight.
- 01:48:38 - What Buffett figured out about the benefits of becoming more lovable and kinder.
*Disclaimer: Slight timestamp discrepancies may occur due to podcast platform differences.
BOOKS AND RESOURCES:
- Related Episode: Part 2 of William Green's interview with Guy Spier - High-Performance Habits - RWH010.
- Stig and Preston interview Guy Spier about his book, “The Education of a Value Investor.”
- Stig and Preston interview Guy Spier about his $650,100 lunch with Warren Buffett.
- Guy Spier’s book, “The Education of a Value Investor" – Read reviews of the book.
- Subscribe to Guy Spier’s Free Newsletter.
- Guy Spier’s podcast and website.
- Guy Spier interviews William Green about his book, “Richer, Wiser, Happier.”
- William Green’s book, “Richer, Wiser, Happier” – read the reviews of this book.
- William Green’s Twitter.
- Our tool for picking stock winners and managing our portfolios: TIP Finance Tool.
- Check out our favorite Apps and Services.
- Browse through all our episodes (complete with transcripts) here.
- Find Pros & Fair Pricing for Any Home Project for Free with Angi.
- Help protect your family’s financial future with TD Term Life Insurance.
- Invest in high quality, cash flowing real estate without all of the hassle with Passive Investing.
- Take the next step in your working-life or get ready for a change, by being a Snooze franchise partner. To learn more, head to Snooze.com.au and scroll down the page for “franchising”.
- Try out Rhoback’s performance polos, q-zips, or hoodies and bring a new meaning to the word comfortable. Use the code STUDY and get 20% off your first order.
- Confidently take control of your online world without worrying about viruses, phishing attacks, ransomware, hacking attempts, and other cybercrimes with Avast One.
- Personalize your plans in improving your metabolism, reducing stress, improving sleep, and omptimizing your health with InsideTracker. Use discount code TIP to get 20% off the entire InsideTracker store.
- Get the most from your bitcoin while holding your own keys with Unchained Capital. Begin the concierge onboarding process on their site. At the checkout, get $50 off with the promo code FUNDAMENTALS.
- Reclaim your health and arm your immune system with convenient, daily nutrition. Athletic Greens is going to give you a FREE 1 year supply of immune-supporting Vitamin D AND 5 FREE travel packs with your first purchase.
- Support our free podcast by supporting our sponsors.
HELP US OUT!
Help us reach new listeners by leaving us a rating and review on Apple Podcasts! It takes less than 30 seconds, and really helps our show grow, which allows us to bring on even better guests for you all! Thank you – we really appreciate it!