RWH011: The Emotionally Intelligent Investor w/ Daniel Goleman
IN THIS EPISODE, YOU’LL LEARN:
- 03:58 - How a famed Harvard psychologist inspired Daniel Goleman to study high performance.
- 07:00 - How spiritual teachers like Ram Dass and Neem Karoli Baba led him to study meditation.
- 12:35 - What neuroscientists have discovered about the impact of meditation on the brain.
- 20:36 - How self-awareness helps us to manage our emotions and stay “balanced” amid chaos.
- 23:05 - How to become more keenly aware of our fear and anxiety, so we can recover faster.
- 29:21 - Why George Soros paid close attention to how he felt—emotionally and physically.
- 31:47 - Why it’s risky to make big decisions when hungry, angry, lonely, tired, in pain, or stressed.
- 34:50 - How the brain gets “hijacked” by sudden negative emotions—and what to do about it.
- 37:48 - How Warren Buffett and Bill Miller succeed by reacting unemotionally to bad news.
- 41:34 - How we can handle stressful situations by learning to think about them differently.
- 45:15 - How a simple breathing exercise can help you to calm down and improve your focus.
- 48:52 - Which meditation app Daniel Goleman and William Green both recommend.
- 55:59 - How to deal with a barrage of information and distractions without losing your focus.
- 1:04:34 - How Daniel deals with difficult emotions by “sitting with them” until they dissipate.
- 1:07:50 - How meditation helps multibillionaire Ray Dalio think clearly and maintain his equanimity.
- 1:09:30 - What Daniel Goleman has learned from his long-time relationship with the Dalai Lama.
*Disclaimer: Slight timestamp discrepancies may occur due to podcast platform differences.
BOOKS AND RESOURCES
- Daniel Goleman’s books “Emotional Intelligence,” “Altered Traits,” & “Focus.”
- Daniel Goleman’s website & his coaching/consulting firm, Goleman Consulting Group.
- Two classic books by Ram Dass: “Be Here Now” & “Miracle of Love.”
- The Ten Percent Happier app, featuring classes by Joseph Goldstein & Sharon Salzberg.
- William Green interviews Ray Dalio in episode 410 of the We Study Billionaires podcast.
- William Green’s book, “Richer, Wiser, Happier” – read the reviews of this book.
- William Green’s Twitter.
- Our tool for picking stock winners and managing our portfolios: TIP Finance Tool.
- Check out our favorite Apps and Services.
- New to the show? Check out our We Study Billionaires Starter Packs.
- Send, spend and receive money around the world easily with Wise.
- Find people with the right experience and invite them to apply to your job. Try ZipRecruiter for FREE today.
- Take the next step in your working-life or get ready for a change, by being a Snooze franchise partner. To learn more, head to Snooze.com.au and scroll down the page for “franchising”.
- Find Pros & Fair Pricing for Any Home Project for Free with Angi.
- Support your hardworking team in one intuitive platform by using Gusto, an all-in-one payroll, HR, team management tools and more. Go to gusto.com/wsb for your first three months free.
- Trade specifically based on your view of concrete events with Kalshi, a trading platform that can be used to counter falling portfolios.
- Get 50% off Remote’s full suite of global employment solutions for your first employee for three months. Just visit remote.com and use promo code WSB.
- Invest in high quality, cash flowing real estate without all of the hassle with Passive Investing.
- Confidently take control of your online world without worrying about viruses, phishing attacks, ransomware, hacking attempts, and other cybercrimes with Avast One.
- Browse through all our episodes (complete with transcripts) here.
- Support our free podcast by supporting our sponsors.
HELP US OUT!
What do you love about our podcast? Here’s our guide on how you can leave a rating and review for the show. We always enjoy reading your comments and feedback!