RWH026: Wealth & Health w/ Jason Karp
In this episode, William Green talks with Jason Karp, a prodigiously talented investor & entrepreneur whom he also profiled in his book, “Richer, Wiser, Happier.” Jason founded Tourbillon Capital Partners, where he managed $4.5 billion. He then quit the hedge fund business & created HumanCo, a holding company that invests in the health & wellness sector. Here, he speaks with extraordinary candor about his relentless quest for financial & professional success, & how his obsession with overachievement almost destroyed him.
IN THIS EPISODE YOU’LL LEARN:
00:00 - Intro
04:27 - How Jason Karp switched from underachiever to “hyper-neurotic overachiever.”
09:32 - How his obsession with productivity devastated his health.
25:01 - How he transformed his health, healing diseases that seemed incurable.
35:34 - What he learned about how to eat well for health & longevity.
53:13 - Why it’s helpful to “confuse your body” with random stressors.
54:32 - How the best investors succeed by deferring gratification.
1:09:17 - How Jason simplifies his life to reduce the impact of “decision fatigue.”
1:13:37 - How he designed his hedge fund’s offices to promote productivity & good health.
1:25:08 - What’s helped him most in dealing with his mental health challenges.
1:25:25 - How he came to be suicidally depressed at the pinnacle of his investment career.
1:28:24 - How he thinks about money, family, happiness, & fulfillment.
1:29:24 - Why founding a health & wellness conglomerate brought him a new level of joy.
Disclaimer: Slight discrepancies in the timestamps may occur due to podcast platform differences.
BOOKS AND RESOURCES
- Jason Karp’s company, HumanCo.
- Hu Chocolate brand co-created by Jason Karp.
- Why Zebras Don’t Get Ulcers by Robert Sapolsky.
- Undo It! by Dean Ornish M.D. & Anne Ornish
- The Longevity Diet by Valter Longo.
- Peter Attia’s book Outlive: The Science and Art of Longevity
- Young Forever by Dr. Mark Hyman
- Tara Brach’s book, “Radical Acceptance,” & her website.
- How To Change Your Mind by Michael Pollan.
- William Green’s book, “Richer, Wiser, Happier” – read the reviews of this book.
NEW TO THE SHOW?
- Check out our We Study Billionaires Starter Packs.
- Browse through all our episodes (complete with transcripts) here.
- Try our tool for picking stock winners and managing our portfolios: TIP Finance Tool.
- Enjoy exclusive perks from our favorite Apps and Services.
- Stay up-to-date on financial markets and investing strategies through our daily newsletter, We Study Markets.
- Learn how to better start, manage, and grow your business with the best business podcasts.
P.S The Investor’s Podcast Network is excited to launch a subreddit devoted to our fans in discussing financial markets, stock picks, questions for our hosts, and much more! Join our subreddit r/TheInvestorsPodcast today!
- Invest in Bitcoin with confidence on River. It's the most secure way to buy Bitcoin with 100% full reserve custody and zero fees on recurring orders.
- Beat FOMO and move faster than the market with AlphaSense.
- Make connections, gain knowledge, and uplift your governance CV by becoming a member of the AICD today.
- What does happen when money and big feelings mix? Tune in to find out on the new podcast, Open Money, presented by Servus Credit Union.
- Capitalize on the rapidly growing cybersecurity market today with Atakama.
- Have Commonwealth Private‘s Private Bankers take the time to understand your goals and tailor solutions that create less for you to do and more for you to enjoy.
- If you’re into marketing podcasts that walk through how successful entrepreneurs, politicians, and influencers have convinced and persuaded people, then you should give Nudge, hosted by Phil Agnew, a listen!
- Get yourself a Blockstream Jade — An all-in-one, bitcoin-only hardware wallet that makes protecting your bitcoin so easy. Use the coupon code Fundamentals to get 10% off.
- Apply for the Employee Retention Credit easily, no matter how busy you are, with Innovation Refunds.
- Get an overall better student loan experience with College Ave. Plus, get a chance to win a $1,000 college scholarship. No purchase is required.
- Hire expert marketers, on-demand, with <a href="https://marketerhi