Research Software Engineering in the Nordic Countries
The Nordic RSE network held a 3 day workshop in December 2020 and I was delighted to record a panel discussion on the subject of 'Research Software Engineering careers and their position in academia'.
Despite the fact that some countries established roles for research software engineers (e.g. the UK, US and France), in many places aspiring RSEs face obstacles and hurdles to turn their passion into a career. Samantha Wittke from Aalto University in Finland chaired the discussion.
- Declaration of Research Assessment (DORA) https://sfdora.org
- Nordic RSE organisation https://nordic-rse.org
Some of them universities participants were joining from
- https://www.ntnu.no (Home to Digital Lab, Norway)
- https://www.helsinki.fi/en (University of Helsinki, Finland)
- https://www.kth.se (Royal Institute of Technology, Sweden)
- https://www.aalto.fi/fi (Aalto University, Finland)
- https://www.imperial.ac.uk/admin-services/ict/self-service/research-support/rcs/research-software-engineering/ (RSEs at Imperial College, London, UK)