Revisiting Breaking the Cycle of Generational Trauma with Billie Lourd
The holidays are upon us, and that can mean complicated family dynamics. So, we're revisiting our conversation with Billie Lourd. She has been grieving the loss of her mother, Carrie Fisher, and grandmother, Debbie Reynolds, since 2016. She shares what it was like growing up in the public eye in a family dealing with addiction and mental illness. This episode’s practice is about all the things you inherit from your family (good and bad) and the patterns you want to break.
Want to connect? Join the New Day Facebook Group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/newdaypod
Resources from the show
- Listen to True Colors by Cyndi Lauper
- Read “It Didn’t Start With You: How Inherited Family Trauma Shapes Who We Are and How to End the Cycle” by Mark Wolyn
- Read “What Happened to You: Conversations on Trauma, Resilience and Healing” by Bruce Perry and Oprah.
- Read “Wild Game” by Adrienne Brodeur
- Listen to Dani Shapiro’s Podcast: Family Secrets on iHeartMedia and Apple
- Watch Billie in the 2019 movie Booksmart
Click this link for a list of current sponsors and discount codes for this show and all Lemonada shows go to lemonadamedia.com/sponsors.
Did you try one of these weekly practices? We want to hear about it! Call 833-4-LEMONADA (833-453-6662) or email us email@example.com
To follow along with a transcript and/or take notes for friends and family, go to lemonadamedia.com/show/newday/ shortly after the air date.
Follow Claire on IG and FB @clairebidwellsmith or Twitter @clairebidwell and visit her website: www.clairebidwellsmith.com
Stay up to date with us on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram at @LemonadaMedia.
Joining Lemonada Premium is a great way to support our show and get bonus content. Subscribe today at bit.ly/lemonadapremium
See omnystudio.com/listener for privacy information.