Rocky Mountain Adaptation: Adapting to Climate Change the Colorado Way
In episode 166 of America Adapts, Doug Parsons hosts adaptation experts from Colorado. We learn how extreme storm events have been a major driver in adaptation planning in the state. Discover the most pressing climate impacts facing Colorado. We hear from the state climatologist about Colorado’s unique climate and what challenges it brings to adaptation planners. We also hear about on the ground examples of resilience planning from city and local governments. Colorado is learning quickly how to upscale their post-disaster recovery efforts. The epic 2013 floods were a catalyst for many of the resilience actions we see today in Colorado. Learn how that happened and how responding to these events has spurred adaptation innovation at the state level. Colorado has created a useful template on how other states can begin to comprehensively adapt to climate change.
Colorado Experts in this episode:
- Anne Miller - Colorado Resiliency Office Director in the Colorado Office of Local Affairs
- Russ Schumacher - Colorado State Climatologist
- Maya Machamer – Co-founder and Director of the Boulder Watershed Collective
- Jim Webster - Wildfire Partners Program Coordinator for Boulder County
- Lori Hodges - Director Office of Emergency Management for Larimer County, Colorado
- Jessica Olson - Executive Director of the Left Hand Watershed Center
- Colorado Resiliency office can help with technical assistance and help with workshops if local communities request it.
- What was the Resilience Collaborative and what role did it play in establishing the Colorado Resiliency Office?
- What is the Wildlife Partners Program and how it empowers homeowners to make their homes more resilient to wildfires.
- Colorado is learning quickly how to upscale their post-disaster recovery efforts.
- How extreme events can be a catalyst for innovative adaptation planning.
- How Colorado institutionalized resilience into a statewide office.
- Learn how Boulder is being proactive with adaptation planning and how they get their local citizens involved.
- What is a “Wildfire ready watershed”?
- Learn from the state climatologist about Colorado’s unique climate and how they help local governments with critical climate data.
- We learn what ‘restoring the landscape to a future condition’ means.
This episode was generously sponsored by the Genesee Mountain Foundation.
Transcript of this episode available here. (Transcribed by computer so there are some errors).
Listen to America Adapts on your favorite app here!
Facebook, Linkedin and Twitter:
Donate to America Adapts
Follow on Apple Podcasts
Follow on Android
Doug Parsons and Speaking Opportunities:
If you are interested in having Doug speak at corporate and conference events, sharing his unique, expert perspective on adaptation in an entertaining and informative way, more information can be found here!
Follow/listen to podcast on Apple Podcasts.
Links in episode:
Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco
Strategies to Address Climate Change Risk in Low- and Moderate-income Communities - Volume 14, Issue 1
Podcasts in the Classroom – Discussion guides now available for the latest episode of America Adapts. These guides can be used by educators at all levels. Check them out here!
The 10 Best Sustainability Podcasts for Environmental Business Leaders
The best climate change podcasts on The Climate Advisor
7 podcasts to learn more about climate change and how to fight it
Directions on how to listen to America Adapts on Amazon Alexa
America Adapts also has its own app for your listening pleasure! Just visit the App store on Apple or Google Play on Android and search “America Adapts.”
Join the climate change adaptation movement by supporting America Adapts! Please consider supporting this podcast by donating through America Adapts fiscal sponsor, the Social Good Fund. All donations are now tax deductible!
Podcast Music produce by Richard Haitz Productions
Write a review on Apple Podcasts !
America Adapts on Facebook!
Join the America Adapts Facebook Community Group.
Check us out, we’re also on YouTube!
Executive Producer Dr. Jesse Keenan
Subscribe to America Adapts on <a href="https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/americ