Roll On: No Shortcuts To Enlightenment
Post-election thoughts. Managing stress and disagreement. Connecting to gratitude. Weekly wins. And, of course, listener questions. Welcome to another edition of Roll On.
Commanding co-host duties as always is my hype man Adam Skolnick, an activist and veteran journalist perhaps best known as David Goggins’ Can’t Hurt Me co-author. Adam has written about adventure sports, environmental issues and civil rights for outlets such as The New York Times, Outside, ESPN, BBC, and Men’s Health. He is the author of One Breath and is currently hard at work on a novel.
Some of the many topics explored in today’s conversation include:
- What can be learned from the life + death of Zappos’ Tony Hsieh;
- The unpredictability of happiness;
- The antitrust campaign to break up the tech behemoths;
- Rob Bell lessons on writing + self-love;
- Our growing adoration of ‘Feels Good Man’; and
- Celebrating grassroots environmental activism
In addition, we answer the following listener questions:
- Is pursuing a more authentic life path an ego trip?
- How can a person with low self-esteem and avoidance discomfort develop more intimacy?
- Does endurance racing in your 50’s pose health risks?
Thank you to Joe from northern New York, Seth from Wisconsin, and Michael from Boulder, CO. If you want your query discussed, drop it on our Facebook Page, or better yet leave a voicemail at (424) 235-4626.
Peace + Plants,
Listen, Watch & Subscribe
Thanks to this week’s sponsors
Squarespace: The easiest way to create a beautiful website, blog, or online store for you and your ideas. Save 10% on your first purchase at checkout when you visit squarespace.com/richroll and use the discount code RICHROLL at checkout.
Ten Thousand: The World’s Most Durable Training Shorts. Built for Your Needs. Designed for Performance. Every order gets FREE shipping, FREE exchanges and FREE returns. Save 20% OFF your first purchase at tenthousand.cc with promo code “RICHROLL”.
Birch Living: The best, most affordable, organic, and sustainable mattresses on the market with a 100 night risk-free trial. 1% of each purchase is donated to the National Forest Foundation and Birch purchases carbon offsets for each mattress sold. For $200 off ALL mattress orders, visit BirchLiving.com/RichRoll
Four Sigmatic: Nutritious and delicious mushroom brews and elixirs made with only the highest quality adaptogens and easy to take on the go. To try ‘em out visit foursigmatic.com/roll or use the discount code ROLL to get 10% off your order.
- Connect With Adam: Website | Instagram | Twitter
- Adam’s Books: Can’t Hurt Me |One Breath
- WSJ: The Death of Zappos’s Tony Hsieh: A Spiral of Alcohol, Drugs and Extreme Behavior
- CNBC: Tony Hsieh: Tragedy, Covid isolation, and mental health
- Forbes: Amanda Slavin: The Creative Catalyst Behind CatalystCreativ
- South China Morning Post: Zappos’ Tony Hsieh and his last months: drink, drugs and a quest for world peace
- Daily Beast: Singer Jewel Warned Zappos Visionary Tony Hsieh About His Drug Use Months Before Tragic Death
- NYT: The Facebook Lawsuits Explained
- NYT: ‘It’s Hard to Prove’: Why Antitrust Suits Against Facebook Face Hurdles
- NYT: Opinion | When it Comes to Facebook, the Need for Action Has Been Obvious for a Long Time
- NYT: U.S. Accuses Google of Illegally Protecting Monopoly
- NYT: U.S. and States Say Facebook Illegally Crushed Competition
- Podcast: Pivot with Scott Galloway & Kara Swisher
- NYT OpDoc: I Achieved My Wildest Dreams. Then Depression Hit.
- Playboy: In That Moment, I Knew We Were Lost by Adam Skolnick
- Book: The Night Riders by Matt Furie
- The Goldman Prize: 2020 Winners
HOW CAN I SUPPORT THE PODCAST?
Tell Your Friends & Share Online!
Donate: Check out our Patreon account
Support The Sponsors: One of the best ways to support the podcast is to support our sponsors. For a complete list of all RRP sponsors and their respective vanity url's and discount codes, visit my Resources page and click "Sponsors".
Thanks to Jason Camiolo for production, audio engineering and show notes; Margo Lubin and Blake Curtis for video, editing and graphics; portraits by portraits by Ali Rogers and Davy Greenberg; and theme music by Tyler Piatt. Trapper Piatt & Hari Mathis.
*Disclosure: Books and products denoted with an asterisk are hyperlinked to an affiliate program. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
See acast.com/privacy for privacy and opt-out information.