S10E11: Let Our Girls Be Girls: Side Effects of the Adultification of Black Girls
To get more behind-the-scenes content, become a subscriber. Click the link and please share with your friends: https://anchor.fm/her-space/subscribe
Think about the Black girls in your life. Really think about them. What are the words you would use to describe them? Are any of those words ones you use to describe adults? Lady, if you are like most of us then at least one word is probably more appropriate to describe an adult. In today’s episode, Terri and Dr. Dom help us understand the negative impact of adultification in our Black girls. Listen in as they share their own experiences and provide tips on how we can protect our girls from adultification.
Quote of the Day:
"A little black girl yearns for the blue eyes of a little white girl and the horror at the heart of her yearning is exceeded only by the evil of fulfillment"
Tips to protect your daughter from adultification:
- Use developmentally appropriate language
- Encourage freedom of self-expression (creativity + listening to them)
- Assign developmentally appropriate chores
- Advocating on her behalf with teachers, friends, and family
- Let our girls be girls- let them play, let them make mistakes
Where to find us: