S3 Ep. 6: Spiritual Leadership in Times of Crisis
As the coronavirus pandemic took hold, Rabbi Joshua Lesser created a Facebook group to support and connect clergy of all faiths struggling to respond to the crisis. Over five thousand people joined within the first two weeks. We discuss the exponential growth of the multifaith community he created and reflect on both the practical challenges and interior dimensions of spiritual leadership in times like these. Rabbi Lesser also explores the lessons he learned about community and vulnerability as an out gay rabbi during the height of the AIDS crisis, and how that experience informs his work now.
This podcast is produced by Reconstructing Judaism. Visit us at ReconstructingJudaism.org.
Special Guest: Rabbi Joshua Lesser.
- Sojourn — The Southern Jewish Resource Network for Gender & Sexual Diversity (SOJOURN) is the American South's resource for Jewish & LGBTQ+ programming, education, support, and advocacy. Our mission is to advance LGBTQ+ affirmation and empowerment across the South.
- Streaming Services - Congregation Bet Haverim
- Multifaith Clergy & Spiritual Communal Responses to Covid-19 (Facebook group)
- Atlanta Rabbi Starts an international, multifaith support system for clergy...
- Brené Brown
- When the threat is random, the Jewish response is compassion | Jewish Week — Op-ed from Rabbi Deborah Waxman
- Evolve Episode 3: Preparing our Communities for Conversations on Race
- Hashivenu S3 Ep. 5: Catching Our Breath — As the current pandemic disrupts our lives and everyday connections, we each face the dual challenge of saving lives and caring for our souls. Rabbi Deborah Waxman reflects on the Jewish spiritual imagery that unites these concerns and shares a practice of breath work that can sustain us in stressful times.
- Spotify – Congregation Bet Haverim