Scott Schmidt - The Original Freeskier
Scot Schmidt - The Original Freeskier
Brought to you by Ikon Pass
My guest today is the legendary Scot Schmidt:
- Scot was the very 1st professional freeskier in North America
- He created the genre and he did it with style
- Scot's intro into the ski industry was him dropping a 100' cliff at Squaw Valley Palisades Tahoe, California in the 1983 Warren Miller Ski Movie and as he drops the monstrous cliff Warren says: "Scot Schmidt, his parents raised him wrong."
- Scot has been in at least 46 ski movies
- His style is smooth and tight and cameramen ate it up upon first sight
- Scot was discovered by a Warren Miller filmmaker who was visiting Squaw Valley in 1983 - all the filmmaker had to do was say: "I wanna film whoever it is making those tracks"
- It was Scot who was making "Those tracks" the tracks that stood out and took him to the highest heights of ski stardom
- Scot traveled the world making ski movies for 25-years before settling down in Big Sky, Montana so he could ski more (there's a lotta standing around in ski movie making)
- Scot was even a stunt double for Dexter Rutecki in the legendary Hollywood ski movie: "Aspen Extreme"
- Scot has been sponsored by the North Face for 30-years and while there he designed a line of ski mountaineering clothing called Steep Tech that is worth 3 times more than what it sold for back in the 80s and 90s.
- Scot has seen it all in this industry and he helped reinvent it.
- His stories of skiing all over the world are truly an inspiration
This episode is brought to you by Ikon Pass:
It all starts now – Ikon Pass is on sale for the 22/23 season. It’s time to keep the stoke alive, seek a season of fun in the mountains, and DO YEWWW across 50 of the best ski destinations in the world. Whether it’s the immediate spring access, hooting and hollering down your favorite runs next season, or connecting with the crew for an afternoon brew, there’s always an adventure for how you ride.
This year – DO YEWWW with an Ikon Pass in hand – whether you’re hunting bluebird days, scoring après scenes, or tearing through cold smoke, however your ride, there’s an adventure waiting for you. Score the best prices on winter 22/23 and get all the early season goods: Upon purchase, Buy Now Ride Now with immediate spring access to 3 mountains, and a total of 10 destinations by April 11. Save up to $200 in child passes with the purchase of an adult pass. 21/22 pass holders can claim up to $100 off in renewal discounts for 22/23. And, pay it all forward with a payment plan as low as $0 down and 0% APR. Claim your pass at IkonPass.com.
For 22/23, Ikon Pass is dialing up the stoke and welcoming 3 new legendary destinations to its family of mountains. Get ready to explore the storied slopes of Chamonix in France, the sun-drenched scenes of Sun Valley in Idaho, and the powder-pillow deep history of Snowbasin in Utah. With so much to explore, it’s time to DO YEWWW. Claim your pass at Ikon Pass.com.
If you enjoyed this podcast, please share with friends & family, and please subscribe.
Follow SnowBrains: SnowBrains.com