Shannon Faulkner & Sex Discrimination at The Citadel
Mike tells Sarah how a troll-ish experiment turned a South Carolina teenager into one of the most maligned women of the 1990s. Digressions include Sally Ride, Anne Hathaway and, as usual, "Newsies." Mike struggles with the word "infirmary" throughout.
The pictures of Shannon we discuss in this episode are here.
Subscribe on Patreon
Donate on Paypal
Buy cute T-shirts
- Catherine Manegold's "In Glory's Shadow: Shannon Faulkner, the Citadel, and a Changing America"
- Susan Faludi’s “The Naked Citadel”
- Marching In Step: The Citadel And Post World War II America
- A Judicial Blow for "Jane Crowism" at The Citadel in Faulkner v. Jones
- The Citadel's Lone Wolf, Shannon Faulkner
- Surviving the Company of Men
- Shannon Faulkner and The Citadel: The Effects of Using Litigation as an Instrument of Social Reform
- Saving The Males: The Sociological Implications of the Virginia Military Institute and the Citadel (since we recorded this episode we've learned that the author of this piece has been accused of sexual harassment. Apologies for not mentioning it on the show!)
- Single-Sex Education: New Perspectives and Evidence on a Continuing Controversy
Support the show (http://patreon.com/yourewrongabout)