Spring Washam - Bridging Traditions: Psychedelics, Buddhism, & Ancestral Wisdom
In this Psychedelic Podcast episode, Paul F. Austin meets meditation teacher and healer Spring Washam at the MAPS Psychedelic Science Conference to discuss Buddhism, psychedelics, and ancestral wisdom.
Find episode links, summary, and transcript here: https://thethirdwave.co/podcast/episode-208-spring-washam
Paul and Spring delve deep into the synergies and incompatibilities across healing modalities. They ask whether indoor practices can ever rival nature’s transformative power. They reflect on innate desires toward rooting on land and the consequences of disconnection. They ask whether the spirit of Harriet Tubman and other ancestral heroes can heal society’s conflicts. And they explore the psychedelic divide between Southern traditions and Northern adaptations.
Join Paul and Spring for a fascinating perspective on mindfulness, plant medicine, and the evolution of society.
Considered a pioneer in bringing mindfulness-based meditation to diverse communities; Spring Washam is a well-known teacher, healer, and visionary leader based in Oakland, California.
She is the author of A Fierce Heart: Finding Strength, Courage and Wisdom in Any Moment and The Spirit of Harriet Tubman: Awakening from the Underground.
Spring is one of the founding teachers at the East Bay Meditation Center, an organization that offers Buddhist teachings with attention to social action and multiculturalism. She is a member of the teachers’ council at Spirit Rock Meditation Center, offering teachings on Buddhist philosophy, Insight meditation, and loving-kindness practices. Spring is also the founder of Lotus Vine Journeys, a one-of-a-kind organization that blends indigenous healing practices with Buddhist wisdom in transformative retreats in Central America.
She has practiced and studied Buddhist philosophy in both the Theravada and Tibetan schools of Buddhism since 1999. Spring is also a shamanic practitioner, studying indigenous healing practices since 2008.
Spring’s workshops, interviews, and writing can be found in mainstream media worldwide.
- How Buddhist practitioners view psychedelics.
- Spring’s early ayahuasca journeys and revelations.
- Spring’s lessons from Buddhist lineages.
- Jack Kornfield’s guidance and teachings.
- Spring’s Lotus Vine Journeys ayahuasca retreats in Costa Rica.
- How psychedelics and Buddhism reconnect us to nature.
- Spring’s journey from California to Georgia to start a plant-medicine community.
- Exploring the importance of healing human disconnection from the land.
- Spring’s insights from her book, The Spirit of Harriet Tubman: Awakening from the Underground.
- Spring’s presentation at the MAPS Conference on Buddhism & ayahuasca.
- Reflecting on how to bridge modern spirituality with indigenous lineages.
- Spring’s website: https://www.springwasham.com/Spring on
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/springwasham/?hl=en
- Lotus Vine Journeys retreat center: https://www.lotusvinejourneys.com/
- Spring’s new book, The Spirit of Harriet Tubman: Awakening from the Underground: https://amzn.to/3Ktio19
These show links may contain affiliate links. Third Wave receives a small percentage of the product price if you purchase through the above affiliate links.