Susan Cain Says Sadness is a Superpower
1. How to know if you are a “Bittersweet” type.
2. On “stabs of joy”—and why our joy is often accompanied by dread.
3. How to complete the cycle of sadness, in order to live with more joy.
4. Susan and Sister’s best relationship advice: That our longing for the perfect partner is not really about our partner.
5. Why Glennon thinks those who feel the ache are often those who fall into addiction.
Susan Cain is the author of the bestsellers Quiet Journal, Quiet Power: The Secret Strengths of Introverts, and Quiet: The Power of Introverts in A World That Can’t Stop Talking, which has been translated into 40 languages, spent seven years on the New York Times best seller list, and was named the #1 best book of the year by Fast Company magazine, which also named Cain one of its Most Creative People in Business. Her new masterpiece, Bittersweet: How Sorrow and Longing Make Us Whole, was published by Crown on April 5, 2022.
LinkedIn named Susan the 6th Top Influencer in the world. Susan partners with Malcolm Gladwell, Adam Grant and Dan Pink to curate the Next Big Idea Book Club. They donate all their proceeds to children’s literacy programs.
Her writing has appeared in The New York Times, The Atlantic, The Wall Street Journal, and many other publications. Her record-smashing TED talk has been viewed over 40 million times, and was named by Bill Gates one of his all-time favorite talks.
Cain has also spoken at Google, PIXAR, the U.S. Treasury, P&G, Harvard, and West Point. She received Harvard Law School’s Celebration Award for Thought Leadership, the Toastmasters International Golden Gavel Award for Communication and Leadership, and was named one of the world’s top 50 Leadership and Management Experts by Inc. Magazine. She is an honors graduate of Princeton and Harvard Law School. Visit Susan at susancain.net.
Learn more about your ad choices. Visit podcastchoices.com/adchoices