Sustainable architecture - Design, Materials and Cost - Janna Laan Lomas - BS037
It's a Solstice/Christmas/New Year double episode with Grain Architecture's founding director and designer Janna Laan Lomas.
In this episode we discuss the nuts and bolts of sustainable design from an architect's perspective.
I also speak with Janna in episode 38, where we discuss her background and training, and the response from the architecture world in response to the climate emergency.
This episode contains discussions on:
- Her approach to construction
- Insulation and Mass geek out
- Designing each room construction for the way it's used
- Glass in buildings
- Designing out membranes
- FoamGlas insulation
- Threshers Hall - A project I led for Hartwyn that was designed by Janna
- Structural Engineers
- How much does an eco house cost?
- Wobbly walls Vs Straight
Episode 37 Links
- Lost words (book)
- Lost Spells (book)
- Bank Job (documentary)
- Suffolk 'Threshers Hall' Build
- Foamglas insulation
- Futurebuild exhibition
Support the show (https://www.patreon.com/buildingsustainability)