TIP354: Building Berkshire 2.0 w/ Chamath Palihapitiya
In today’s episode, Trey Lockerbie sits down with Chamath Palihapitiya. Chamath is the founder and CEO of Social Capital, his conglomerate focused on solving climate change and inequality, which he has referred to as Berkshire Hathaway 2.0. Chamath was an early executive at Facebook and then went on to become a super successful Venture Capitalist, with early investments into Amazon, Tesla, Slack, and Bitcoin. He’s also now the Chairman of Virgin Galactic and a part-owner of the Golden State Warriors. Chamath has developed a large internet following because of the broadcasting of his SPAC investments in easy-to-digest one-pagers, earning the title SPAC king in recent headlines. But, he has recently taken a step back from the limelight and Chamath talks about why that is.
IN THIS EPISODE, YOU'LL LEARN:
- (08:33 ) How Chamath became a billionaire by age 32
- (27:49 ) What he’s learned from Warren Buffett’s approach and how it applies to Social Capital
- (51:54 ) His journey to living an authentic life and much much more
*Disclaimer: Slight timestamp discrepancies may occur due to podcast platform differences.
BOOKS AND RESOURCES:
- Preston, Trey & Stig’s tool for picking stock winners and managing our portfolios: TIP Finance Tool
- Browse through all our episodes (complete with transcripts) here
- Support our free podcast by supporting our sponsors
- Thank an awesome human with the best scrubs in the world -- FIGS! Enter promo code WSB at checkout to get 15% off
- Get three months free when you protect yourself with ExpressVPN, the VPN we trust to keep us private online
- Take your business to the next level by hiring the right people with ZipRecruiter
- Join OurCrowd and get to invest in medical technology, breakthroughs in ag tech and food production, solutions in the multi-billion dollar robotic industry, and so much more
- Simplify working with multiple freelancers, set budgets, and manage projects with ease with Fiverr Business. Get 1 free year and save 10% on your purchase on with promo code INVESTORS
- Listen to Secret Sauce and explore the stories and successes behind some of the most inspiring businesses. Available on Apple Podcast, Amazon Music, or you can listen one week early and ad-free by joining Wondery Plus in the Wondery app. Wondery… Feel the Story
- Get into a topic quickly, find new topics, and figure out which books you want to spend more time listening to more deeply with Blinkist. Get 25% off and a 7-day free trial today
- Check out Kraken's industry-leading staking service, where you can put your crypto to work for you and earn up to 20% in additional rewards annually
- Teach kids good money habits the fun and easy way with GoHenry’s debit card for kids and app for parents. Get one free month with promo code WSB
HELP US OUT!
Help us reach new listeners by leaving us a rating and review on Apple Podcasts! It takes less than 30 seconds, and really helps our show grow, which allows us to bring on even better guests for you all! Thank you – we really appreciate it!