TIP372: Identifying A Great Company w/ Jim Collins
On today’s episode, we have a very special guest and that is researcher and author, Jim Collins. Jim is most well known for his books, such as Good to Great, Built to Last, How the Mighty Fall, Great by Choice, Turning the Flywheel BE.20, which have sold over 10 million copies worldwide. Trey Lockerbie has been having a lot of conversations lately about the global macro environment, and while it can be an endlessly fascinating topic and a fun spectator sport, it’s important to never lose sight on the fact that as investors, we are investing in companies, and it’s important to study the different species of companies and what makes them great. There is no better expert on this topic than Jim.
IN THIS EPISODE, YOU'LL LEARN:
- (00:09:14 ) The definition of greatness
- (00:35:28 ) What makes up a Level 5 leader
- (00:43:16 ) How much weight to put into innovation
- (00:51:32 ) What exactly is a flywheel effect?
- (01:16:29 ) How luck plays into success and so much more
*Disclaimer: Slight timestamp discrepancies may occur due to podcast platform differences.
BOOKS AND RESOURCES:
- Jim Collins website
- Trey Lockerbie Twitter
- Preston, Trey & Stig’s tool for picking stock winners and managing our portfolios: TIP Finance Tool
- Get three months free when you protect yourself with ExpressVPN, the VPN we trust to keep us private online
- Communicate your ideas in the best way possible with Canva
- Teach kids good money habits the fun and easy way with GoHenry’s debit card for kids and app for parents. Get one free month with promo code WSB
- Donate to GiveWell’s recommended charities and have your donation matched up to $1,000 before the end of August or as long as matching funds last if you've never donated before. Pick PODCAST and We Study Billionaires or enter code TIP at checkout
- Join OurCrowd and get to invest in medical technology, breakthroughs in ag tech and food production, solutions in the multi-billion dollar robotic industry, and so much more
- Start feeling better with a single message. Match with a licensed therapist with Talkspace and get $100 off your first month with the promo code WSB
- Never miss out on a great home because you haven't sold your current one. Experience stress-free home-buying with Orchard
- Get into a topic quickly, find new topics, and figure out which books you want to spend more time listening to more deeply with Blinkist. Get 25% off and a 7-day free trial today
- The all-electric Cooper SE starts at only $29,900. It’s everything you love about MINI fully electrified. Reserve yours now
- Read the 9 Key Steps to Effective Personal Financial Management
- Browse through all our episodes (complete with transcripts) here
- Support our free podcast by supporting our sponsors
HELP US OUT!
Help us reach new listeners by leaving us a rating and review on Apple Podcasts! It takes less than 30 seconds, and really helps our show grow, which allows us to bring on even better guests for you all! Thank you – we really appreciate it!