TIP382: Investing Mastermind Q3 2021
For this week's Mastermind discussion, Stig has invited Tobias Carlisle from Acquirers Fund, Jake Taylor from Farnam Street Investments, and Dr. Wes Gray from Alpha Architect. The topic of the week is the holy grail of investing.
IN THIS EPISODE, YOU’LL LEARN:
- (00:01:16 ) What is the holy grail of investing?.
- (00:06:37 ) Can you be diversified if you are only invested in equities?.
- (00:08:56 ) Which strategies and asset classes should you follow to diversify your revenue streams.
- (00:14:04 ) How to think about inflation and holding cash in your portfolio.
- (00:18:39 ) Whether you should invest in a trend-following strategy.
- (00:32:33 ) Why managed future exposure show is significant in your portfolio.
- (00:39:22 ) Is the rise of passive investing good for the active investor?.
- (00:45:25 ) Is Robinhood good or bad for the investor?.
- (00:53:45 ) What is the best and worst thing that has happened for ETF investors?.
- (00:56:42 ) How a mutual fund that returned 18% annually, in reality, turned into an 11% negative return.
*Disclaimer: Slight timestamp discrepancies may occur due to podcast platform differences.
BOOKS AND RESOURCES:
- The article that Wes Gray referred to, Trend Following and the Epidemy of no Pain no Gain.
- Tobias Carlisle's podcast, The Acquirers Podcast.
- Tobias Carlisle's Acquirers Fund.
- Tobias Carlisle's ETF, ZIG.
- Tobias Carlisle's ETF, Deep.
- Tobias Carlisle's book, The Acquirer's Multiple – Read Reviews for this book.
- Tobias Carlisle's Acquirer's Multiple stock screener: AcquirersMultiple.com.
- Dr. Wesley Gray's and Toby Carlisle's book: Quantitative Value – Read Reviews for this book.
- Dr. Wesley Gray's website: Alpha Architect.
- Dr. Wesley Gray's book: Quantitative Momentum – Read Reviews for this book.
- Jake Taylor's company, Farnam Street Investments.
- Related episode - Q2 2021 Investing Mastermind episode.
- Preston, Trey & Stig’s tool for picking stock winners and managing our portfolios: TIP Finance Tool.
- Updating your wardrobe with Mizzen+Main. Use promo code WSB to receive $35 off any order of $125 or more.
- Have high-quality, sustainably sourced Wild-Caught Seafood delivered right to your door with Wild Alaskan Company. Order today and get $15 off your 1st box of premium seafood.
- Find people with the right experience and invite them to apply to your job. Try ZipRecruiter for FREE today.
- Get help writing your emails, reports, presentations, resumes, blogs today with WordTune.
- Communicate your ideas in the best way possible with Canva.
- Join OurCrowd and get to invest in medical technology, breakthroughs in ag-tech and food production, solutions in the multi-billion dollar robotic industry, and so much more.
- Start feeling better with a single message. Match with a licensed therapist with Talkspace and get $100 off your first month with the promo code WSB.
- Connect with other users - friends, other members, and notable investors with Public.com. Use code BILLIONAIRES and get up to $50 in free stock to get started in growing your portfolio. Valid for U.S. residents 18+. Subject to account approval. See Public.com/disclosures. Not investment advice.
- Push your team to do their best work with Monday.com Work OS. Start your free two-week trial today.
- Get into a topic quickly, find new topics, and figure out which books you want to spend more time listening to more deeply with Blinkist. Get 25% off and a 7-day free trial today.
- Browse through all our episodes (complete with transcripts) here.
- Support our free podcast by supporting our sponsors.
HELP US OUT!
What do you love about our podcast? Here’s our guide on how you can leave a rating and review for the show. We always enjoy reading your comments and feedback!