TIP384: Evergrande, Alibaba, and the Collapse w/ David Stein
On today’s show, Stig Brodersen has invited back David Stein. David is a former chief investment strategist for Fund Evaluation Group, a $70 billion investment advisory firm. In this episode, David will break down what is going on in China and whether we as investors should be concerned about a stock market collapse.
IN THIS EPISODE, YOU’LL LEARN:
- (01:07 ) How are Chinese stocks valued historically?
- (05:37 ) How to think about stock market valuations in the US vs. China.
- (09:04 ) Why are some investors like Charlie Munger, bull on Chinese equities?.
- (13:36 ) Why are some investors bear on Chinese equities?
- (17:50 ) What is the true debt situation in China?
- (24:31 ) Can Evergrande lead to a stock market collapse?
- (28:03 ) What happens to investors’ ADRs if they get delisted in the US?
- (33:03 ) What is happening in the tech sector from an investing and regulatory perspective?
- (37:11 ) What is the intention behind common prosperity?
- (44:23 ) What are the known knowns and known unknowns when investing in China?
- (48:03 ) What are the implications of the new Chinese currency?
- (53:20 ) How to position yourself when investing in China.
*Disclaimer: Slight timestamp discrepancies may occur due to podcast platform differences.
BOOKS AND RESOURCES:
- Listen to David Stein’s podcast, Money For the Rest of Us.
- Visit David Stein’s Website.
- Visit David Stein’s YouTube channel.
- Preston, Trey & Stig’s tool for picking stock winners and managing our portfolios: TIP Finance Tool.
- Read the 9 Key Steps to Effective Personal Financial Management.
- Updating your wardrobe with Mizzen+Main. Use promo code WSB to receive $35 off any order of $125 or more.
- Have high-quality, sustainably sourced Wild-Caught Seafood delivered right to your door with Wild Alaskan Company. Order today and get $15 off your 1st box of premium seafood.
- Find people with the right experience and invite them to apply to your job. Try ZipRecruiter for FREE today.
- Get help writing your emails, reports, presentations, resumes, blogs today with WordTune.
- Communicate your ideas in the best way possible with Canva.
- Join OurCrowd and get to invest in medical technology, breakthroughs in ag-tech and food production, solutions in the multi-billion dollar robotic industry, and so much more.
- Start feeling better with a single message. Match with a licensed therapist with Talkspace and get $100 off your first month with the promo code WSB.
- Connect with other users - friends, other members, and notable investors with Public.com. Use code BILLIONAIRES and get up to $50 in free stock to get started in growing your portfolio. Valid for U.S. residents 18+. Subject to account approval. See Public.com/disclosures. Not investment advice.
- Push your team to do their best work with Monday.com Work OS. Start your free two-week trial today.
- Get into a topic quickly, find new topics, and figure out which books you want to spend more time listening to more deeply with Blinkist. Get 25% off and a 7-day free trial today.
- Browse through all our episodes (complete with transcripts) here.
- Support our free podcast by supporting our sponsors.
HELP US OUT!
What do you love about our podcast? Here’s our guide on how you can leave a rating and review for the show. We always enjoy reading your comments and feedback!