TIP442: Investing in Stocks w/ Mohnish Pabrai
On today’s show, Stig Brodersen talks with legend value investor Mohnish Pabrai. In the interview, Mohnish Pabrai shares his thoughts on Alibaba, Tencent, a personal letter from Warren Buffett, and much more.
IN THIS EPISODE, YOU'LL LEARN:
- 01:18 - What Warren Buffett’s letter to Mohnish Pabrai said.
- 04:53 - What is Mohnish Pabrai’s driver for being an asset manager?
- 07:47 - What is Mohnish Pabrai’s role with Dakshana Foundation.
- 13:47 - Is it an advantage to spend money on research tools.
- 14:44 - Mohnish Pabrai’s natural biases.
- 24:16 - What to look for in an asset manager.
- 38:47 - How and why invest in a country with secular inflation and the investment case for Reysas Logistics.
- 48:45 - Thoughts on Alibaba and why there is no concern with the VIE structure.
- 50:33 - Thoughts on Tencent and why it might be a better business than Alibaba.
*Disclaimer: Slight timestamp discrepancies may occur due to podcast platform differences.
BOOKS AND RESOURCES:
- Learn more about Mohnish Pabrai’s Dakshana Foundation.
- Mohnish Pabrai’s website.
- Listen to our interview with Mohnish Pabrai about value investing and philanthropy or watch the video.
- Tune in to our interview with Mohnish Pabrai about value investing or watch the video.
- Listen to our interview with Mohnish Pabrai about value investing in 2021 or watch the video.
- Tune in to our interview with William Green about Mohnish Pabrai or watch the video.
NEW TO THE SHOW?
- Check out our We Study Billionaires Starter Packs.
- Browse through all our episodes (complete with transcripts) here.
- Try our tool for picking stock winners and managing our portfolios: TIP Finance Tool.
- Enjoy exclusive perks from our favorite Apps and Services.
- Stay up-to-date on financial markets and investing strategies through our daily newsletter, We Study Markets.
- Learn how to better start, manage, and grow your business with the best business podcasts.
P.S The Investor’s Podcast Network is excited to launch a subreddit devoted to our fans in discussing financial markets, stock picks, questions for our hosts, and much more! Join our subreddit r/TheInvestorsPodcast today!
- Get in early on medical technology, breakthroughs in ag-tech and food production, solutions in the multi-billion dollar robotic industry, and so much more with a FREE OurCrowd account. Open yours today.
- Find Pros & Fair Pricing for Any Home Project for Free with Angi.
- Get the most from your bitcoin while holding your own keys with Unchained Capital. Begin the concierge onboarding process on their site. At the checkout, get $50 off with the promo code FUNDAMENTALS.
- Invest in crypto and trade it without tax headaches with AltoIRA.
- Find joy in comfort with Faherty. Use promo code WSB to snag 20% off all your new spring staples!
- Learn about the next big thing – months before everyone else with Trends. Start your 7-day trial today for just $1.
- Buying or selling Gold is as easy as buying a stock with Vaulted. No minimum investment required.
- Canada’s #1 employee benefits plan for small businesses! The Chambers Plan evolves with the way you work and live while keeping the rates stable. Opt for the simple, stable, and smart choice for your business.
- The interval fund, a breakthrough innovation. Only at Mackenzie.
- Balancing opportunity and risk? The golden answer can be literally gold! Start your investment journey today with Perth Mint.
- Confidently take control of your online world without worrying about viruses, phishing attacks, ransomware, hacking attempts, and other cybercrimes with Avast One.
- Live local in Melbourne and enjoy $0 Stamp Duty*!
- Gain the skills you need to move your career a level up when you enroll in a Swinburne Online Business Degree. Search Swinburne Online today.
- Design is already in your hands with Canva. Start designing for free today.
- Support our free podcast by supporting our sponsors.
HELP US OUT!
Help us reach new listeners by leaving us a rating and review on Apple Podcasts! It takes less than 30 seconds, and really helps our show grow, which allows us to bring on even better guests for you all! Thank you – we really appreciate it!