TIP556: 100 to 1 in the Stock Market by Thomas Phelps
On today’s episode, Clay reviews Thomas Phelps’s book - 100 to 1 in the Stock Market, and also highlights writings put out by Akre Capital Management.
IN THIS EPISODE YOU’LL LEARN:
00:00 - Intro.
02:30 - Common characteristics of companies that increased their share price by 100x.
11:11 - Why most investors aren’t able to hang onto their winners as Phelps suggests.
14:05 - Why good stock selection is much more important than good stock market timing.
31:36 - Mental models Phelps uses to figure out the odds when investing.
42:47 - Why we should invest with companies that align with our own values.
45:29 - When to look for potential 100 Baggers.
47:39 - The four categories of companies that were 100 Baggers in Phelps’s study.
52:53 - Who is best equipped to be individual stock pickers.
56:57 - Chuck Akre’s three-legged stool approach.
60:15 - Takeaways from two of Akre Capital’s brilliant articles - ‘Why Compounding is so Difficult’ and ‘The Art of (Not) Selling’.
Disclaimer: Slight discrepancies in the timestamps may occur due to podcast platform differences.
BOOKS AND RESOURCES
- Thomas Phelps’s book - 100 to 1 in the Stock Market.
- Akre Capital Managements writings: Why Compounding is so Difficult and The Art of (Not) Selling.
- Check out our newly released TIP Mastermind Community.
- Check out our recent episode covering the The Outsiders by William Thorndike, or watch the video.
- Follow Clay on Twitter.
NEW TO THE SHOW?
- Check out our We Study Billionaires Starter Packs.
- Browse through all our episodes (complete with transcripts) here.
- Try our tool for picking stock winners and managing our portfolios: TIP Finance Tool.
- Enjoy exclusive perks from our favorite Apps and Services.
- Stay up-to-date on financial markets and investing strategies through our daily newsletter, We Study Markets.
- Learn how to better start, manage, and grow your business with the best business podcasts.
P.S The Investor’s Podcast Network is excited to launch a subreddit devoted to our fans in discussing financial markets, stock picks, questions for our hosts, and much more! Join our subreddit r/TheInvestorsPodcast today!
- Invest in Bitcoin with confidence on River. It's the most secure way to buy Bitcoin with 100% full reserve custody and zero fees on recurring orders.
- Easily diversify beyond stocks and bonds, and build wealth through streamlined CRE investing with EquityMultiple.
- Join over 5k investors in the data security revolution with Atakama.
- Make connections, gain knowledge, and uplift your governance CV by becoming a member of the AICD today.
- Enjoy flexibility and support with free cancellation, payment options, and 24/7 service when booking travel experiences with Viator. Download the Viator app NOW and use code VIATOR10 for 10% off your first booking.
- Send, spend, and receive money around the world easily with Wise.
- Choose Toyota for your next vehicle - SUVs that are known for their reliability and longevity, making them a great investment. Plus, Toyotas now have more advanced technology than ever before, maximizing that investment with a comfortable and connected drive.
- Apply for the Employee Retention Credit easily, no matter how busy you are, with Innovation Refunds.
- Support our free podcast by supporting our sponsors.
HELP US OUT!
Help us reach new listeners by leaving us a rating and review on Apple Podcasts! It takes less than 30 seconds, and really helps our show grow, which allows us to bring on even better guests for you all! Thank you – we really appreciate it!