TIP574: Broken Money 1/2 w/ Lyn Alden
In this episode, Stig Brodersen and Preston Pysh talk with Lyn Alden about her new book, Broken Money. In this first part episode of two, you’ll quickly hear why Stig and Preston think Broken Money is one of the best books they read in 2023.
IN THIS EPISODE, YOU’LL LEARN:
00:00 - Intro
03:50 - Why the current monetary system is broken
08:02 - What commodity money is and why it’s relevant to understand today
28:33 - Why the fractional banking reserve system is like a game of musical chairs
47:36 - How important the strength of the US military is for backing the US dollar
51:17 - How debasement of currencies can fund wars
1:01:31 - The role fiat currencies have played in wars
1:06:02 - How do wealthy countries push inflation and volatility to emerging countries?
Disclaimer: Slight discrepancies in the timestamps may occur due to podcast platform differences.
BOOKS AND RESOURCES
- Lyn Alden’s book, Broken Money – Read reviews here
- Listen to our interview with Lyn Alden about How the Fed Went Broke, or watch the video.
- Tune into our interview with Lyn Alden about Macro and the energy market, or watch the video.
- Listen to our interview with Lyn Alden about Money or watch the video.
- Tune into our interview with Lyn Alden about Gold and Commodities, or watch the video.
- Lyn Alden's free website
- Lyn Alden's premium newsletter
- Listen to our interview with Alex Gladstein about issues with fiat currencies, or watch the video.
NEW TO THE SHOW?
- Check out our We Study Billionaires Starter Packs.
- Browse through all our episodes (complete with transcripts) here.
- Try our tool for picking stock winners and managing our portfolios: TIP Finance Tool.
- Enjoy exclusive perks from our favorite Apps and Services.
- Stay up-to-date on financial markets and investing strategies through our daily newsletter, We Study Markets.
- Learn how to better start, manage, and grow your business with the best business podcasts.
P.S The Investor’s Podcast Network is excited to launch a subreddit devoted to our fans in discussing financial markets, stock picks, questions for our hosts, and much more! Join our subreddit r/TheInvestorsPodcast today!
- Invest in Bitcoin with confidence on River. It's the most secure way to buy Bitcoin with 100% full reserve custody and zero fees on recurring orders.
- Reach the world’s largest audience with Linkedin, the place to B2B. Plus, enjoy a $100 credit on your next ad campaign!
- Invest in some of the top private, pre-IPO companies in the world with Fundrise.
- Learn how Principal Financial can help you find the right benefits and retirement plan for your team today.
- Experience real language learning for real conversations with Babbel. Get 55% off your Babbel subscription today.
- Beat FOMO and move faster than the market with AlphaSense.
- Get a customized solution for all of your KPIs in one efficient system with one source of truth. Download NetSuite’s popular KPI Checklist, designed to give you consistently excellent performance for free.
- Choose Toyota for your next vehicle - SUVs that are known for their reliability and longevity, making them a great investment. Plus, Toyotas now have more advanced technology than ever before, maximizing that investment with a comfortable and connected drive.
- Send, spend, and receive money around the world easily with Wise.
- Be confident that you’ll be small businessing at your best with support designed to help you reach your goals. Book an appointment with a TD Small Business Specialist today.
- Invest in the same paintings available to billionaires, at a more accessible price point with Masterworks.
- Start, run, and grow your business without the struggle. Be in control of every sales channel with Shopify. Sign up for a $1 per month trial period today.
- Return to the all-access world of the rich and powerful. Don’t miss new episodes of Billions streaming now on Paramount Plus with Showtime plan.
- Support our free podcast by supporting our sponsors.
HELP US OUT!
Help us reach new listeners by leaving us a rating and review on Apple Podcasts! It takes less than 30 seconds and really helps our show grow, which allows us to bring on even better guests for you all! Thank you – we really appreciate it!