TMHS 339: 4 Hidden Things That Could Be Destroying Your Sleep Quality
Transforming your health on a holistic level means looking beyond the hours tracked at the gym, or how many macros you eat on a daily basis. Sleep is an incredible foundation for your overall health—and it’s one that you must lay the groundwork for on a daily basis. If you’ve read my best-selling book, Sleep Smarter, you already know that making small changes to your habits can pay off tremendously when it comes to getting better sleep and transforming your overall health.
But since the book was published in 2016, even more groundbreaking science has been released about how sleep can impact your brain, body, and function. It might seem like changing your sleep habits comes down to simple common sense, but the truth is that there are many factors and habits affecting our sleep quality—some that you might not ever consider being the culprit of a restless night.
Today we’re going to discuss four hidden things that might be interfering with your sleep quality behind the scenes. As always, we’ll dig deeply into the science, but you’re also going to walk away with practical tips and tools you can implement to get better sleep.
In this episode you’ll discover:
- How your brain size actually shrinks when you’re sleeping.
- Why the glymphatic system is so important for your brain’s health.
- What REM means, and why it’s so crucial for a good night’s rest.
- The four stages of sleep your brain goes through during a typical night.
- How MSG can disrupt your sleep cycle and cause you to gain weight.
- Hidden names for MSG that you should keep an eye out for.
- The surprising link between MSG consumption and snoring.
- What adenosine is, and how it works in your body.
- How to counterbalance late night caffeine consumption.
- Why you should consider cycling caffeine.
- The importance of setting a caffeine curfew.
- How your cell phone effects your delta brain waves.
- Tips for taking a break from your wi-fi signal.
- The link between eating more fiber and getting deeper sleep.
- Why you need to be mindful about sugar before bedtime.
- The importance of choosing high quality carbohydrates at night.
Items mentioned in this episode include:
- Foursigmatic.com/model ⇐ Get 15% off your daily health elixirs and coffee!
- Intellibed.com/modelhealth⇐ Redeem your exclusive discount + free shipping!
- Heal Your Metabolism and Use Fat for Fuel with Dr. Joseph Mercola – Episode 219
- The History of Sugar – Episode 222
- Sleep Smarter by Shawn Stevenson
Thank you so much for checking out this episode of The Model Health Show. If you haven’t done so already, please take a minute and leave a quick rating and review of the show on Apple Podcast by clicking on the link below. It will help us to keep delivering life-changing information for you every week!